Any guesses? Name that cichlid!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Horsegirlmaddy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was at work today (pet store) and this lady came in, handed me a large plastic grocery bag, and said "take my fish. He's south American" and then left. He's a gorgeous cichlid... Of some kind. So of course, being me, I took him home :p I'm pretty sure he's a red devil, but I would like to see what you guys think he is!! Sorry about the crappy pics, it's a dark tank at nighttime :/

Pictures don't do him justice- he's a good four inches long, brilliant peachy orange, with a dark orange tail and "nose". His eyes are the most peculiar things... Almost like dark kaleidoscopes.

Anyways, I appreciate any identification help I can get! Thanks :)

Attachments

• image-3263021399.jpg
    image-3263021399.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 144
  • image-1492251300.jpg
    image-1492251300.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image-3013633169.jpg
    image-3013633169.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 137
  • image-3758612374.jpg
    image-3758612374.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 142
Looks like an rd to me. Im not a new world guy though so i could be totally wrong.

Midevil (midas x red devil hybrid), considering she didn't know the name of the cichlid, which means she did not buy from a reputable breeder or importer of Amphilophus labiatus. There are a lot of Midas x Red Devil hybrids who tend to look like more Midas or more Red Devil.

Best to be in a 75g or larger tank alone, unless you have a 8 foot tank.

I don't know if she didn't know the name, she just didn't speak much English and the person at work who took the fish from her didn't ask any questions, but it very well could be mi-devil, because my two guesses were red devil and midas but I thought he looked more red devil-y. He's in a 60 gal right now

Just popped in to see what it was (LOL), (no Cichlid experience though except Oscars) but it looks like a big Kissing Gourami. Info says can get 12".

Back
Top Bottom