any love oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onimusha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a tiger oscar once he was about 6years old but passed away oddly enough, I nearly gave up fish keeping but got another one who's a light brown colour and oddly enough quite friendly compared to the tiger oscar I had that was rather agressive towards tank mates. theres something about oscars its their characteristics like a dog lol have u got oscars? my tiger oscar went all funny as if he couldn't swim properly. im hoping my young oscar will live more than than 6years yeah.

can u add a picture to a topic? I go advanced and it has add video option but no picture, I was going to share pics of oscar yeah. I feel the opera mini browser doesn't work too well on these sites it struggles abit.

wow looks like an albino oacar there, do u get territory trouble, my black tiger would always go head on never shy away yeah. this brown one I have is totally different hes not the same as my tiger oscar.

The two get along pretty well. Occasional scuffle though

CICHLID KEEPER

thats interesting I was told never to have 2 oscars in one tank, your picture kind of shines a light here. but if theres one thing iv noticed is it depends on the oacar, they vary alot for behaviour.

So true. I have 2 oscars, 2 purple parrots and one African cichlid and a pleco in a 75gal. All doing well

CICHLID KEEPER

Also helps if they are male and female. A lot of people confuse mating rituals as aggression.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414257982.292843.jpg. I have had these two for about 6 months now together. No issues besides little quick battles. They are always with each other making contact. Not sure the sexes.

So true. I have 2 oscars, 2 purple parrots and one African cichlid and a pleco in a 75gal. All doing well

CICHLID KEEPER

How big are you're fish currently? Im sure you've heard this before but two oscars plus tank mates need a 100gal+ tank and your current tank will need upgraded soon as they will get crowed fast in a 75. Not telling you what to do or that your wrong but just letting you know incase you didn't. :)

How big are you're fish currently? Im sure you've heard this before but two oscars plus tank mates need a 100gal+ tank and your current tank will need upgraded soon as they will get crowed fast in a 75. Not telling you what to do or that your wrong but just letting you know incase you didn't. :)

You can't keep them in a 75g tank since the water quality deterioriates far to quickly which is clearly evident by the Head And Lateral Line Errosion on the his black tiger oscar.

You can't keep them in a 75g tank since the water quality deterioriates far to quickly which is clearly evident by the Head And Lateral Line Errosion on the his black tiger oscar.

What is meant by the head and lateral line erosion?

Yup. All those fish in that 75 are going to have huge problems. They are already showing signs. I keep my wild caught Bahia red tail oscar in a 125 gallon with a 3" male Honduran red point. I want to add a pleco but not looking forward to doubling the water changes again. Have to do a large 75% plus a week to keep the water good now. If I add the pleco it will need 2 water changes this size a week.

Those are two separate diseases...

I understand, not trying to start anything.. attempting to spark a search is all.. i listed both as I do not know exactly which you were referring to.. i could have started with.. "well ☆☆☆☆ the bed!!!!!"
Edit. Hlle for starts..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Those are two separate diseases...

I tend to disagree. It's my understanding that it's technically two terms for the same disease. Skin de-pigmentation and the formation of holes in the head. While neither have "conclusive" causes, there are many "theories" as to what is the problem. The most "viable" theory(ies) being Hex, calcium/phosphorus deficiency, vitamin C/D deficiency. And the less "viable" theories of stress and carbon. However, treatment for both is the same.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

I tend to disagree. It's my understanding that it's technically two terms for the same disease. Skin de-pigmentation and the formation of holes in the head. While neither have "conclusive" causes, there are many "theories" as to what is the problem. The most "viable" theory(ies) being Hex, calcium/phosphorus deficiency, vitamin C/D deficiency. And the less "viable" theories of stress and carbon. However, treatment for both is the same.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Treatment is not the same. HITH is a parasitic infection from Hexamita and Spironucleous spp. and responds as such with metrozoidale, also produces a milky white discharge from infected area. Where as HLLE does not respond to any medications and is generally caused by water quality and a poor diet.

There a dozens of reports I've read about all crap you read on forums regarding carbon and stray voltage but the simple fact is diet and water quality addresses HLLE and not HITH due to the presence of a parasitic infection. A quick read from Pablo..

http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/topic/67-hole-in-head-lateral-line-fin-erosion/

Back
Top Bottom