Any thoughts on "Dithers"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LayzorBeams

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to add a group of either BA Tetras, male Swordtail, or Roseline Barbs with my Texas just to add some activity...

The Barbs seem like the best bet considering how fast they are, but if they end up not living for more tjan i few weeks then i would just be paying a big price for some dead fish...

Again, i just want them to add some activity and color, not as a distraction/target although they will more than likely be chased here and there.

So yeah, any thoughts/suggestions...?

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

I know Jesse had a school of 10 tigers and though they couldn't be caught during the day, at night while they were in "rest mode" got picked Off.

Caleb

I know Jesse had a school of 10 tigers and though they couldn't be caught during the day, at night while they were in "rest mode" got picked Off.

Caleb

Yep. Was a school of 12. They lasted maybe two weeks. 6-7" male Jack Dempsey ate them. I've got no first hand experience with Texas, nor do I know their temperament, but assuming they're fairly aggro as some other fish, I'm not sure if I'd use Roselines because they're not cheap. Hate to lose them as an expensive meal. Buenos Aires tetras, giant danios, Australian rainbow fish, silver dollars, tinfoil barbs are all popular dithers.

Jesse

No experience with the Tex's but the buenos aires tetra are fantastic! They get to a good size too. I added 21 to my tank and they have really brought it to life. (I'm only dealing with clown loach and a Bristlenose though)

Caleb

I meant Roseline/Denison/Torpedo Barbs not Tigers... Ive heard of their sleeping issues.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

No experience with the Tex's but the buenos aires tetra are fantastic! They get to a good size too. I added 21 to my tank and they have really brought it to life. (I'm only dealing with clown loach and a Bristlenose though)

Ok, i will look into seeing if i can locate a decent stock/price of them.

The only dithers that have "managed" to live with my bigger more aggressive fish are Sahyadria denisonii. I've got 9 in my big tank and though the stock has seen hyper aggressive fish such as festae they are still in there, not that I could catch them if I wanted to:lol:

I meant Roseline/Denison/Torpedo Barbs not Tigers... Ive heard of their sleeping issues.

The only dithers that have "managed" to live with my bigger more aggressive fish are Sahyadria denisonii. I've got 9 in my big tank and though the stock has seen hyper aggressive fish such as festae they are still in there, not that I could catch them if I wanted to:lol:

There is your answer. Too much money for my blood though, they're $10 a pop around here for 1.5-2" fish

Jesse

There is your answer. Too much money for my blood though, they're $10 a pop around here for 1.5-2" fish

Jesse

Theyre worse here. 10$ for a Petco fish thats half dead and 25$ for a decent 2" one...

I'll add if the tank it to small like a 48" tank, shy of having a school of nigrofasciatus it won't matter much what kind of dither you choose as they're toast...

Back
Top Bottom