Anyone else regret buying an Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought an oscar for our daughter a few months back and now we are regretting it lol. Too much tank maintnence I do and she doesn't do any (she's 9). What's some of the jobs you would let a 9yr do? Once I upgrade tanks, (he's goin in, if we still have him) I don't want to be limited to what fish I can put into my big tank. I'm really wanting to do an angelfish/all rams (bolivian, gbr, and golden) tank and I know this ain't gonna work out with him. Anyone else??????

I've had many oscars over the years. Yeah the stores never tell you how big they are going to get and people often end up putting them in way to small of a tank for them. I think it's suggested to keep them In like 100+ gallon tanks. They are also very aggressive they don't really tolerate anything in their tanks from my experience. Really pretty fish though and they are fun to interact with mine would bite my fingers.

Jobs for a 9-year old:

-dump buckets of tank water in the garden
-clean algae w/ magnet scrubber
-wave gravel vac softly over the gravel to vacuum poop and stuff (eventually perhaps)
-feeding time
-recorder of water chemistry test results in a notebook & agitator of test tubes

Funny I just thanked my mom this year for all the tank maintenance she did during my childhood, finally realized how big a chore it was when I got back into the hobby as an adult.

Thanks parents, you are so the best!

Back
Top Bottom