anyone have mixed african tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsojkrieger

Aquarium Advice Regular
just curious to see if any one is successful keeping mixed cichliids together, for example victorian haps with mbuna and peacocks.

just curious to see if any one is successful keeping mixed cichliids together, for example victorian haps with mbuna and peacocks.

Yes. So far so good. there are a few with nips in their fins.
One new guy was beaten almost to dead but I now have him in recovery in a hospital tank.

Per others doing the same, it's a hit or miss.

Good luck

I have a frontosa with my haps an peacocks and I have a bigger rock dweller with some mbuna for over 6 months no issues

Mine is turning into a mix tank, but I wanted only haps and peacocks lol. They all get along perfectly.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mine is pretty mixed up with. I have things from vics to peacocks, haps and mbuna

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have African cichlids with a few South American cichlids and they get along fine. I have an occasional fight between them but it's usually because they are breeding

all been together about 2.5 yrs in a 55 gallon 4ft long

1 female melanochromis auratus
1 kenyi (think female)
2 jewels (99% sure both female)
2 female hornet cichlids

the kenyi and m. auratus dig holes together and just sit by each other most of the time...
the jewels are loners and only socialize when time to eat
the hornets are always side by side and constantly roaming

it's the only mixed cichlid tank i've ever done

I have African cichlids with a few South American cichlids and they get along fine. I have an occasional fight between them but it's usually because they are breeding

While mixed African tanks can work, mixing them with SA fish usually doesn't work out well long term due to the differing water and feeding preferences.

all been together about 2.5 yrs in a 55 gallon 4ft long

1 female melanochromis auratus
1 kenyi (think female)
2 jewels (99% sure both female)
2 female hornet cichlids

the kenyi and m. auratus dig holes together and just sit by each other most of the time...
the jewels are loners and only socialize when time to eat
the hornets are always side by side and constantly roaming

it's the only mixed cichlid tank i've ever done

Same as above re: the Jewels. Jewels are riverine fish that may live, but will never thrive in a tank with rift lake parameters.

the jewels have been kickin rear for over 2yrs but i am prepared if they need a change...

ok i just wanted to confirm that other people do it with no problems i have a frontosa, christmas fulu, 2 peacocks, a malawi hap, and about 10 mbuna all male in the same tank and i have so many people argue over it saying im wrong for doing it blah blah blah but i think my tank looks lovely with all the color and yes they are aggressive but they have never killed eachother. only a few nipped fins and ive had them all together for well over a year now. i just wanted other peoples imput. thank you

The problem is trial and error. Some people have success and some people come home to a tank full of dead fish. So everyone forms their opinions through personal experience, hence so many arguments.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There will always be people who have mixed tanks with some having success and others not so much. There are too many factors to take into account and the one thing you can't ever control is a fish's temper, which leads to aggression issues and makes it a valid argument that mixed tanks aren't recommended. Only a handful of people actually try to find a balance in water parameters to make the tank as comfortable as possible for the different species of fish; whereas most just toss fish together and see no deaths, then say, oh well it works so in your face. There's a difference between surviving and living, so hopefully anyone with a mixed tank will try to adjust their water and find a balance to accommodate all their aquatic pets. Just my opinion at least.

Ive had a mixed mbuna and peacock tank for over 5 years now without problems. Its a 180 gal tank with about 250 pounds of rock.

I probly wouldn't have a mixed tank if I knew what I knew now but I try my best to accommodate to the fish by taking good care of the water and they have more than plenty of places to hide but everything so far so good it's been over a year now, I didn't know cichlids were so different when I first started. the advise I was given was just put cichlids with cichlids, so atleast they are all african lol

Reactions: HN1
I also have a mixed tank and it has been pretty peaceful so far. I originally wanted a peacock and hap tank only but found it hard to find enough locally to properly stock my tank so I added mbuna into the mix. I am probably going to reduce the number of mbuna as I find more peacocks and Haps I like but I will definitely keep some that are my favorites.

Back
Top Bottom