Anyone know all about Angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WendiDell

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all.
:confused:I'm getting ready to start a 55g Angelfish tank. I still have a few questions before I buy any Angelfish.
One, how hard is it to raise the dime size Angels, that most FS sell as juveniles? Or would it be safer to go with the medium quarter size Angel?
Next, do all Angels get to be the same size or are some types smaller than others. Are some hardier than others?
I'm looking at the Platinum Angels, the Black Veil Angels, The White Blushing Angels and the Blue Angelfish.
I'm not looking to be a breeder. These are for the pure enjoyment of them. So my many questions are these.
How many Angel fish can I put in a 55g tank? How many of each type are needed to keep them happy,
What I mean is, I have African Cichlids in another tank and they need a minimum of 3:1 female male ratio.
I keep hearing about pairs, with the Angels. So does that mean that I should get at least 2 pairs of each Angel? Or is that only if I'm going to breed?
If it's not to many, I'd like to have 10-12 Angelfish. 4 Black Veil, 2 Platinum, 2 Blushing and 2 Blue. Or if I should have more that 2 each, I would like to get the 4 Black, 4 Platinum, and 4 Blushing. Or is 12 to many?
All I've been able to find is the minimum tank size, but not how many in a tank. Or how many of each is best for the fish. I may not be breeding but, I want my fish to be as comfortable and happy as possible.
Those kind of details aren't easy to find and LFS will sell you as many as your willing to pay for.
Do all Angelfish need the same water parameters? Or are there variations between them? If so, which ones should not be put together.
Sorry for so many questions, but I don't want to make any mistakes that may cost the lives of these elegant fish.
This is to be an exclusively Angelfish tank. So I won't need to worry about any other compatibility issues.
I also realize that Angels and Cichlids are completely different. The Cichlids are in my Grandsons room and the Angels will be in the living room. I wanted them to be different, to give a different feeling to each room.
OK, I'm done with the questions for now.

Probably safer to go with the bigger one, but one of mine was a little bigger than a dime and hes fine now.

The older the fish, the hardier it will be.

5 angels to a 55 gal, id say 6 at the most.

pairs are for breding. most angel fish are of the same species they just have dif colors.

all angelfish need the same water parameters if im not mistaken.

Probably safer to go with the bigger one, but one of mine was a little bigger than a dime and hes fine now.

The older the fish, the hardier it will be.

5 angels to a 55 gal, id say 6 at the most.

pairs are for breding. most angel fish are of the same species they just have dif colors.

all angelfish need the same water parameters if I'm not mistaken.
Thank you for your quick response.
I figured the medium were a better choice. And now that I know I don't need to pair them, I won't need as many.
I'm also glad about the water. You never know with fish. Some seem the same but their needs can be different.

Angels are Angels. They're all pterophyllum scalare. The color variations are just that. They will pair off, whether you want them to or not. If you get 5 angels, chances are you'll at least have 1 pair, possibly 2. I wouldn't have more than 2 pairs in a 55g tank.

As far as raising them, the dime size will require more attention than quarter or half dollar sized. I've read, and been told by numerous people, that daily or every other day water changes will benefit them greatly. The frequent water changes removes hormones from the water that can cause them to grow slowly. Twice daily feedings are also beneficial.

You said
I also realize that Angels and Cichlids are completely different.

Angels are one of the least aggressive cichlids you'll find, when they're not breeding. When they start breeding, their demeanor will change big time. Keep this in mind when choosing tankmates if you do decide to do other fish. Tetras go great with angels.

Last edited:
Angels are Angels. They're all pterophyllum scalare. The color variations are just that. They will pair off, whether you want them to or not. If you get 5 angels, chances are you'll at least have 1 pair, possibly 2. I wouldn't have more than 2 pairs in a 55g tank.

As far as raising them, the dime size will require more attention than quarter or half dollar sized. I've read, and been told by numerous people, that daily or every other day water changes will benefit them greatly.

When I cycled my African Cichlid tank, I did it with fish in it. So I did daily and some times twice a day PWC to keep the Ammonia level as low as possible. I didn't want my fish to get even close to toxic levels.
So daily PWC aren't a problem for me. Plus I have the Aqueon water changer. If I was doing the bucket thing, it would be a lot more difficult for me.

The frequent water changes removes hormones from the water that can cause them to grow slowly. Twice daily feedings are also beneficial.

My African Cichlids grew really fast. Sometimes it seemed like they were bigger overnight. I was doing daily PWC because I did a cycle with fish. I also did twice a day feedings so I could feed a little less at a time, and they always seem hungry. Now that they are grown I only feed once a day.
But I won't have a problem with giving the extra attention to the Angels.
Frankly I miss all the time and attention that's needed when the fish are young.

You said
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Angels are one of the least aggressive cichlids you'll find, when they're not breeding. When they start breeding, their demeanor will change big time. Keep this in mind when choosing tankmates if you do decide to do other fish. Tetras go great with angels.

I was only going to get 5 Angels. But do you think I could have a few tetras too? Or would I have to give up one of the Angels, to fit the tetras?

I've been looking at the different colored Angles and they are all beautiful. But, I'm leaning toward 2 Black Veil and 2 Platinum Angels.
Now, if I were to add other fish, would Guppies be OK? I know you mentioned Tetras but I didn't find any that WOW-ed me. Except a couple of them that said the were fin nippers. I didn't think that would be good for the Angels and their elegant fins.
But I found some beautiful Guppies that would look great with the Angels

Guppies would be fine. The angels might nip at the fancy tails, but I don't think it would be a big problem. The guppy fry would also be a nice snack for the angels.

Guppies would be fine. The angels might nip at the fancy tails, but I don't think it would be a big problem. The guppy fry would also be a nice snack for the angels.

Thank you, I'm very happy to hear that guppies and Angels will work.
While I was looking at the Tetras I found a Purple Dragon guppy that is just breath taking. I'm sure everyone has noticed my penchant for purple. And there were also a Neon Blue Tux Guppy. I thought the deep purple and the bright blue would be a nice contrast to the black and platinum of the Angels.
As far as any fry are concerned, I really don't want to breed. I love fish and I really don't mind tank maintenance, now that I have a water changer. The buckets were painful, with the water changer it takes about 50 min to an hour to PWC 4 tanks. With buckets it took hours.
Anyway I'm not a breeder, I can't fit anymore tanks in my house to do any breeding correctly. And If I can't do it right I'm not going to start.
So if the fry become food it will keep the population down.

Back
Top Bottom