Anyone know what kind of african cichlid...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although someone here may know for sure, generally a broadside photo is the best way to view the coloration, shape of the head and body, any striping, fin shape, etc... could you possibly shoot the fish that way?

I want to blurt out that it's a Red Zebra, but it's hard to tell...

A pic of the side would help... but i think it has bluish spots on the side?
if so... i think it is a african jewel cichlid

Broadside photo? Ugh!

Alright ... I will threaten it with some kebab skewers to pose broadside. So far all I get are variations of that first shot. It looks nothing like the jewel cichlids in my tank (no side ornamentation, no striping on the eyes). As to a red zebra, I thought I had one of those before - this looks different. More photos soon!

Attachments

• John_doe2.jpg
    John_doe2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 67
Now it looks sort of peacockish... I'm not sure if it's a trick of the camera, or if he's just flaring up and strutting like a peacock, but it looks much less like a metriaclima from this angle...

At any rate, it is not a jewel...

And how big is it? It is a juvenile, I can tell that much, but how small?

Definitely not a jewel. I'm guessing albino peacock of some type... but I'm not too good on the African cichlids IDs without Ad Konings' books. LOL

Some new photos

It is about 2.5" long and a light orange/peach in color.

Attachments

• John_doe3.jpg
    John_doe3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 66
I am going to take a guess at a Hybrid Peacock known by several names, Strawberry, Gold, German Red Albino, etc... that's as good as I can think of...

Hybrid peacock/strawberry peacock with not so bright colors it is then.

-S

Don't feel bad, it may not be coloring up because of it's tankmates dominance, or it just may be too young yet... That is pretty small for a Peacock.

Hey mate i have this exact fish and its a ruby red albino auloncara

Hey mate i have this exact fish and its a ruby red albino auloncara

I don't think it's an albino... the eyes are too dark, Ruby Reds have light eyeballs with a red iris/pupil. Not to mention their body is red, not yellow with blue spangles... like his fish has.

Right... you guys insist on seeing some red coloration that doesn't exist on his fish, lol...

From the same website, same species, different fish... This one is gold, with blue spangles, no red on it, like the fish we are all trying to identify:
Species Profiles -- Cichlid-Forum

Whoah ... now that's more like it. That hybrid photo looks extremely similiar to my fish. As to albino's, don't they have to have red eyes and be very pale to be called "albino"? Again, thanks everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom