Anything wrong? Black colors/ ID/Sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess Pena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First, in the first photo there are black tips in the fins and also under the mouth. The black usually shows up when eating or chasing other fish. Is this just a sign of aggression or something more?

Secondly, my LFS sold me these Cichlids saying they were Texan Cichlids, so I want to make sure that these are just that! And also, do you think I have a male and two females? Or two males and one female?

Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 78
Oops. Cancel the last photo. It's the same fish as the first!!

THey look like juvenile Blue Texas cichlids to me. Difficult to sex them from pics though. Often, females will develop a black, or dark spot or patch on the dorsal fin, but that won't show up until she's grown a bit. The black on the fins is a show of dominance. Keep an eye on the aggression; if it gets too bad, you'll need to rehome either the most, or the least dominant fish.

I agree with SherLar definitely Texas cichlids and if I had to guess it looks like a male and female. Male in the top and bottom pics and female in the second pic but it's hard to be certain that young.

THey look like juvenile Blue Texas cichlids to me. Difficult to sex them from pics though. Often, females will develop a black, or dark spot or patch on the dorsal fin, but that won't show up until she's grown a bit. The black on the fins is a show of dominance. Keep an eye on the aggression; if it gets too bad, you'll need to rehome either the most, or the least dominant fish.

I see, well thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep an eye on them!!

I agree with SherLar definitely Texas cichlids and if I had to guess it looks like a male and female. Male in the top and bottom pics and female in the second pic but it's hard to be certain that young.

That's what I was thinking but I guess I'll have to wait until they grow more. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom