apist agassizi aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
yup i think so. my male is aggressive to my female and my baby golden honey gourami. he doesnt mind the school of rasboras or my male blue flame gourami at all. and my girl apisto is mean only to my golden honey gourami who was added after the apistos were added..'

heres my male chasing my female apisto, and golden gourami..... but im not tooo worried because, my male apisto has a crooked mouth and cant close it all the way, he can eat fine, but he cant nip lol....

heres a video:
apistogramma Agassizis - YouTube

i think its actually quite a calm fish. some are absolutely hectic and VERY aggro. it chases yes, but its not attempting to kill or bite, unlike alot of fish I have known :p
it gives the golden gourami chase prob because it may see it as a threat to his territory or the female? the female apisto chase, while yes persistant, is fairly calm as if trying to lure her more than attack. its alright, when she accepts him and potentially breeds it will (should) improve. the gourami i dont know, it may be a dominance thing they are sorting out.
how does he have a crooked mouth?

i think its actually quite a calm fish. some are absolutely hectic and VERY aggro. it chases yes, but its not attempting to kill or bite, unlike alot of fish I have known :p
it gives the golden gourami chase prob because it may see it as a threat to his territory or the female? the female apisto chase, while yes persistant, is fairly calm as if trying to lure her more than attack. its alright, when she accepts him and potentially breeds it will (should) improve. the gourami i dont know, it may be a dominance thing they are sorting out.
how does he have a crooked mouth?

2j3iadj.jpg

couldnt u get a large storage container, fill with water and use pH lowering chemicals for your water changes? check the final pH first obviously, but it may extend the fishes lives.

couldnt u get a large storage container, fill with water and use pH lowering chemicals for your water changes? check the final pH first obviously, but it may extend the fishes lives.

Ive talked to other people in houston who have these apistos that have actually bred them and everything in our tap water, they just do 60-80% water changes once a week instead of the norm 20-25%. i'd rather not use any ph altering chemicals though :/ they say its better when it stays put at one ph instead of a pH that fluctuates..

fair enough, i agree if its gonna work :)
if the fish can live in that pH, no problems!

well i hope so! the guy i got it from says he keeps all his fish in our tap water so, it must work! they were in it when i got them so i guess theyre used to it. they are getting darker in color so i think i might be doing something right. ive been doing 50% pwc once a week so far so good!

If those fish were bred locally, you have no worries. It's mouth is crooked? Like a birth defect or an injury?

Yeah its crooked. I didnt notice when I got him. He eats fine so im not worried. Im assuming birth defect? but i wouldnt know! Im not 100% sure but I think it was wild caught. But im not sure, but the guy I got it from has his own warehouse hes more of an online shipper he said he keeps all his fish in houston tap water. So im assuming the fish were in there for a while I got the last pair he had.

If they are double reds, as it says in one of your other videos, then they are not wild caught. The color varieties, like double/triple red, do not exist in nature. They are the result of selective breeding.

If they are double reds, as it says in one of your other videos, then they are not wild caught. The color varieties, like double/triple red, do not exist in nature. They are the result of selective breeding.

Thanks! good to know!

Back
Top Bottom