Apisto-gression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecoperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have developed a big crush on Apistogrammas, especially cacatuoides. I have a 75 gallon, planted community tank, with lotsa plecos, a few tetras (most have succumbed to a mysterious illness), and 6 small angels.

I would like to add them to this tank, but I'm concerned about compatibility, especially at breeding time. The tank has a lot of cover in the form of driftwood, plants and caves.

Would it be safe to add apistos to this tank, do you think? If so, in what number and sex ratio? Is there a range of behavior among apistos?

I've done some searching, but most talk about species tanks and breeding, rather than the fish as part of a community aquarium, and I'd appreciate any input.

They would be fine in the tank. As for breeding time if you weren't able to get the eggs out the plecos would most likely feast on the eggs.

i keep cacs in my S. American 75 gallon, they get along great, you can click on my info to see what their tanks mates are, but it is similare to what you are looking at.

That's some good news!

I have lots of unused pleco caves because I kind of just like them as...art? So I think I'd just chuck those in there to provide surplus hiding spots. There's a massive chunk of driftwood with many holes and crevices as well, and then the plants.

The plecos are mostly small and juvies still, and not big hiders....

Thank you!

*** (runs back to check AquaBid and bank balance again) ***

Back
Top Bottom