Apisto panduro surprise spawn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
We've been growing out our Apisto panduro pair since we got them at an auction in March. They have a 20 gallon tank to themselves. I did my usual round of water changes this week and didn't notice anything, but lo and behold I went out to the fishroom yesterday and found a group of free swimmers! We never saw any eggs and didn't notice any behavior other than normal behavior, so it was a real surprise. :)

I target fed them some First Bites and I'm pretty sure they are eating it. The little cloud of fry went nuts when the food came their way. They're going to be getting 3-4 feedings a day and daily water changes. The parents are doing really well with them so at this point we do not plan to pull the fry.

Here are a few pics and a quick video. Excuse the look of the tank- it's strictly functional and I don't know what the heck that algae is that grows all over the substrate, but I'm glad I didn't clean the substrate too well this week! LOL

Here's the little mama. She is so tiny- only about an inch total length.
img_2029703_0_c52755e1f54960f6926ba89bf5faaadb.jpg

And this is the male.
img_2029703_1_ea1c8b216d36ceff27041d23e6e78292.jpg

img_2029703_2_0e824af1ce7568cc07473a55398208e0.jpg

Apistogramma panduro spawn - YouTube

Congratulations to both of you, I'm not a little cichlid guy but she is stunning...to bad they don't grow to a foot!

Congratulations to both of you, I'm not a little cichlid guy but she is stunning...to bad they don't grow to a foot!

LOL... but they can actually be housed together full time! :D

Here's a quick video update.
Apisto panduro guarding fry 7/19/12 - YouTube

They are doing great so far! They're eating First Bites or BBS 4 times a day, and I do a 50-60% water change with aged dechlorinated water daily. Here's hoping it continues to pay off.

The panduro tank is next to another 20 gallon tank that houses a trio of Apisto cacatuoides. In the video you can see all the aggressive posturing they are doing on the right side of the tank- that's where the cacatuoides are. They can see each other and, although this was unintentional, it's pretty entertaining to watch them.

severum mama said:
Here's a quick video update.
Apisto panduro guarding fry 7/19/12 - YouTube

They are doing great so far! They're eating First Bites or BBS 4 times a day, and I do a 50-60% water change with aged dechlorinated water daily. Here's hoping it continues to pay off.

The panduro tank is next to another 20 gallon tank that houses a trio of Apisto cacatuoides. In the video you can see all the aggressive posturing they are doing on the right side of the tank- that's where the cacatuoides are. They can see each other and, although this was unintentional, it's pretty entertaining to watch them.

Awesome :) man Apistos (and most Cichlids for that matter) are awesome fish.

I think you should do a video tour of your fish room :D

They are a really cool species. These babies have been keeping me quite busy. LOL

Congrats!!! What is the big school of blue fish in the tank behind the panduro tank in the new video? Looks like Melanotaenia praecox?

Back
Top Bottom