Apisto sp Orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. I picked up a pair of these yesterday just over an inch and like a dummy when I released them into my pitch black tank didn't look in my net till hours later and one was still in it dead. So stupid of me. Any how I'm gonna go back for another but I have no idea if I have a male or female. I can't really find info on web about them to see what difference is in appearance. The shop really knows their stuff and has lotsa wild wish and stuff by hear we're apisto sp orange. Not cacutoides - those were in different tank. Any idea?

It's very timid so far and my female ram seems to be pestering it a bit

Attachments

• image-1978952140.jpg
    image-1978952140.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 63
  • image-2743738634.jpg
    image-2743738634.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 65
Lots of lfs only carry females for some reason. Deffiantly a cacatuoides female. What color not to sure hard to tell on girls but if they were labeled orange then orange flash is a good guess

Thanks guys. That makes it easier. I know he had male cacs he said he had no females so I went w the sp orange which he said he'd give me a pair. Im surprised he knows every scientific name on every cichlid. Carries many wild caught. Not like him to steer me wrong. Ill plan on getting a male cac then from the other tank!

As of right now, it appears to be female, but that depends on the size, try to get a pic with something for scale, like a ruler or something

Thanks guys. That makes it easier. I know he had male cacs he said he had no females so I went w the sp orange which he said he'd give me a pair. Im surprised he knows every scientific name on every cichlid. Carries many wild caught. Not like him to steer me wrong. Ill plan on getting a male cac then from the other tank!

I wouldn't do that, then you're mixing color morphs and will end up with something less desirable if breeding is what you're looking for. Give it some time, juvies look like females, and take a little while for them to start showing male characteristics

I wouldn't do that, then you're mixing color morphs and will end up with something less desirable if breeding is what you're looking for. Give it some time, juvies look like females, and take a little while for them to start showing male characteristics

Ok. Thanks for the good advice as usual! And pic with ruler will be impossible today. It's still getting settled and I can't even for close enough for pic. It runs into cave

Not a problem man, my advice would be to hold off for a little bit, let him/her settle in, and try and figure out exactly what s/he is. To me, the look absolutely screams cacatuoides, but with over 500 species in the wild, and 50+ in the pet trade, it could be something else

Yah I will do that. Hope she/he fares ok. My first apisto. Put it in 36 gal with ram pair and Cory's and tetras.

She should be fine. When you do figure out what she is (definitely push into the LFS owner a bit and dig to find out what it is, ask if its an orange flash or what, as I have no knowledge of any apistogramma sp. "orange") try to keep 2-3 females per male, cacatuoides are generally harem breeders and not very monogamous, and i say generally, not all males are that way

She's definitely about that size but ill wait it out to see. If she is cacutoides believe it or not the local petsmart has males now. I won't have to drive an hr to get one from the guy I got them at!

Yea beat of luck. My petsmart doesn't carry much you got a good one near you

Wouldn't go that far! They have cookie cutter Africans although I got a sweet dragon blood peacock! But they have labs, acei, kenyi, bumblebee and that's it and for new worlds Oscar, jewel, JD's,and jewels. For dwarfs just rams and now the cockatoo.

Another question for ya! Would apistos be ok with just a couple females or would I need a male!? I know males look better but in case I get another of the mysterious sp orange from same dealer....

Back
Top Bottom