Apistogramma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My buddy wants to put some of these guys in a community tank with tetras and a dwarf gouarmi. I only know what ive read from the net, but has anyone had personal exp. with them?

I understand they are docile but territorial especially at spawn time.

I did see them at the LFS last night just assorted ones but they were in with neons, and rummy nose and plecos and corydoras ect.

I had two rams for a short time (poor stock) and they didn't bother anyone in my community tank. At the time I had 10 neons and 5 diamonds tetras, 1 angel, 1 clown loach, assorted guppies. I only had them for about 3 weeks though.

Will probably work save the DG being severely harassed. What species of apisto? It's a large group.

Sorry, rams, I was thinking of another thread when I responded I guess. Never kept apistos myself, I would love a pair of the apistogramma cacatuoides though, they are stunning!

only apisto's around me are labeled assorted and to be honest, my L. Curviceps look alot better then the apisto's did.

I do know there are tons of apisto's and I was looking at probably blackwater species as they had zero color, I thought they were baby convicts at first.

Now do apisto's and rams get along?

Yes and no. They are both apistos. In a large enough tank, singles or even pairs could coexist. I wouldn't try to put males together in anything smaller than a 75 personally.

We have two batches of A. Atahualpa, about 8 cac fry that we got from auction (I think they're double red), and a cloud of GBR fry growing out. Will need homes in a few months. ;)

Will need homes in a few months. ;)

Oh oh! Me ME! LOL.

You two are going to make me buy more tanks because I love all your stuff so much!

Never bought any of the cac's (triple red) on aquabid because the pics just seemed to good to be true (and every auction's were the same pics).

What size tank? If its big enough it should be fine. I have some Apistos in both my 40g and 29g and the only ones that get harassed (at times) are the females by the males. Just make sure there are enough hiding spots for the females to rest. Some Apistos can be touchy with water quality so I wouldn't put them in a new tank...sounds like your friends has been up a bit though. Apisto cacautuoides are common and AFAIK easy to keep if he hasn't decided on a species yet. And tank bred is obviously easier to keep and feed than wild caught. Tell him to go for it!

Back
Top Bottom