Apistogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illusion447

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We just bought 3 baby Apistogramma Bitaeniata's at an action this past weekend. I've been doing a little research on them, but would love to know anything from you guys about them. We bought market pantry purified water for them because when I tested the ph of that water it was 6.4. I know they need a really low ph. I'm setting up a tank today for just them and would to love anything at all about them before I finish setting everything up! Thanks in advanced!!

use plants they live in the amazon which has plants more then rock cave structures

Ya the tank I'm setting up for them had alot of plants and a few caves for hiding places. Do u use a different water to give them a lower ph or do u use other ways to lower the ph?

Drift wood can drop it but it will eventually kick up your ammonia

Ive been hesitating setting up the tank because I'm planning on using market pantry water bottles since they have a ph of about 6.4 I want to make sure that's a good thing to do or if I should just lower my tap water from 7.6 using natural ways..

Imo naturally is the best way if you can get in the low 7s I say job well done you could do it the other way but water changes would be a pain in the butt.

IF you bought them at a local auction, chances are they were kept in the same water you use... or very close to it. Those chances are even greater if they were bred locally. I don't see why using your tap water is such a bad idea... unless they were bred in very different water.

mfdrookie516 said:
IF you bought them at a local auction, chances are they were kept in the same water you use... or very close to it. Those chances are even greater if they were bred locally. I don't see why using your tap water is such a bad idea... unless they were bred in very different water.

I tested the PH of the water they came in and it was 6.2 so I thought I needed to get it as close to that as possible.. They are less than 1/2 an inch which made me think they were born in the low ph water also.

Back
Top Bottom