Apistogramma Cacatioudes Spawn!- Here they go again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand you disapointment in not being able to raise a spawn yet. I have the same apisto but mine are wild caught without the fancy red flame color. I just had my first spawn eaten by the mother no doubt :x . I regret not moving the eggs but I was too tempted to see the sight of the fish raising them on their own!

And yeah I think id like to get my hands on some of the triple/double red color variety one day ... Put me next on the waiting list for them for when they grow out :wink:

I had to move the first and only egg batch I had due to the very heavy population in my big tank.

Sucked them up into a "clean" tank while they were still wiggling eggs. Went from 40 - 50 odd down to the 15 ive got now about 3 months later. But they are happy. I'll post the full story in a seperate thread, as alas it is a tale of equal sadness and new hope.

Double and Triple reds and the Orange and Red Flash are all I see around my area.I would kill for some wild stock,which I hope to get my hands on when they start collecting in S.A. again next month.

no kidding, i would love some wild stock too. I have never even seen reds in my area... i was away when i found these and i brought them home with me. I just love all apistos... sheesh, i need a fish room.

Gillie said:
Double and Triple reds and the Orange and Red Flash are all I see around my area.I would kill for some wild stock,which I hope to get my hands on when they start collecting in S.A. again next month.

:lol: All i can find here are wild caught. Don't get me wrong I think they're awesome, But who could resist the triple red and flash varieties?

They also were much more difficult to get them to spawn then i had thought. They spawned once I dropped the water temp to 73-74 degrees. No where online on any site did I find this necessary information. That was of course until you (thank you once again) . My female is constantly yellow now, although not as bright as when she was guarding her nest. :)

I would like to get my hands on either the hongsloi, nijessini or the trifiasciata (i think that those are the names).

Trifasciata are my favorite Apisto by far. I just got a trio of Hongsloi a couple of weeks ago they are really cool too. I got a trio of Viejita 'Super Red' with the Hongsloi, but they all ended up being male. so hopefully when I go back I can trade two for females.

Heres my Trifasciata.

Attachments

• picture_097__custom__129.jpg
    picture_097__custom__129.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 29
WP what kind of apistos do you commonly see in your area? I would have to shop around in the area of Highway 40 to see what is available on my way back from Chatham sometime.

Chatham ontario? there is an awsome (supposedly, i;ve never been) store there called living things. They might have some.

But in my area there are only the Cac's available. Although they are also a rare site. Nice looking ones are anyhow.

I was planning on buying a pair of Viejita for my 15 gallon, how do you like them?

Its weird because i came home and checked the forums, but didnt have time to reply because i had homework, but made me go check my apistos, and guess what, they are guarding eggs, lol

Third spawn, this is the first spawn that i can actually see the eggs. The mother is guarding like crazy, but they aren't see through so i think they may be unfertilized. but who knows, i have never seen their eggs before.

Here is a pic, sorry it sucks, my camera wouldnt stop focussing on the crypt leaf.
img_826291_0_80f7f70a5195b69be6c00f4caa2001b5.jpg

The Veijitas are pretty neat but they are quite agressive as far as I have seen with apistos they killed six of my Von Rio Tetras and three ottos in their first two days in the tank, so now they are alone and doing fine. The female is just starting to yellow up a bit.

When mine spawn the eggs are always a pinkish color, so they may be fine.

I have some family that I visit frequently In Chatham, but have never really looked for fish over there.

No my great aunt and uncle used to breed Newfies so that's what they are into,but I will definately check that place out next time I go to see them.

Congrats, i have never gt mine to live long enough to spawn( they kept dieing, but nothing else did).

Back
Top Bottom