Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Apistogramma Cacatuoides problem

Hey all, I have a problem with a trio. They are in a 30 gal, 36 X 12 inches. there is a large stumpy rock in the center loosly dividing the tank with 4 clay pots for caves, 2 per side. Female #1 was added aprox 6 weeks before emale#2 and the male. Originally a trio, but 2 succumbed to a bacterial infection within days.

Now #1 has fry. She is taking good care of them, even using her tail to move food to the little guys. The problem is she does not keep the fry on 'her' side of the tank, the side she spawned in. Several times a day the family winds up on the other females side. And of course she runs female #2 off. #2 is even showing a bit of damage to her tail. When #1 stays on her side, all is fine. #2 hangs out on her side & the male divides his time.

Did I screw up by not rearranging the tank when adding #2, resetting everyone as to territories?? And is this slavagable, or do I have to pull #2?? Everything I have read says a trio in a 36 inch tank will work. Oh, and the tank is moderately planted. Enough to break up sightlines.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I really think your tank is more than large enough for the trio and I'd suggest leaving all three in it. Keep a close eye on the second female to make sure the damage doesn't get too severe.

How old are the fry? How long do you plan to keep them in the tank?
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

one female will become the dominant female IME... #1 may even steal and raise the fry of #2 if she spawns
Old 11-27-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

c

Cool. So it may work. Or not. lol Thanks for the support, the situation has not reached the critical point. #2, the smaller female is mostly hiding in the plants, trying to ignore the horndog male. We will keep watch, and pull #2, and the male too, if need be. Geez!! Teenagers. Why can't they just follow our plans for them.

Tags
api, apistogramma, apistogramma cacatuoides, cacatuoides

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com