Apistogramma cacatuoids fry!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I learned that my cacatuoides pair had babies.I first suspected this when I haven't been seeing the female very much.She had been hiding under this piece driftwood.I noticed them when my female was out and I saw tiny dots.I am not worried if the fish eat them because the female seems to be protecting them as well as the male.What do I do from now?

Do you have a QT or a grow-out tank? These little guys will need a home soon. After awhile those parental instincts wear off, and the little guys will be in danger from thier tank mates. Your choice then is to let nature take it's course, or remove them and grow them out to be large enough to trade in to the LFS. I'm not familiar with that species. Some baby fry will get along fine on crumbled fish food, others prefer very small live food, like newly hatched brine shrimp, infusoria cultures, or daphnia.

Sorry I wasn't able to answer for awhile,the female and the babies seem to have dissappeared.Well maybe I can't see them because of my green water problem.I am going to get some fast growing plants and willow roots to get rid of the green water and hopefully I'll get to see them.In a desperate attept to feed them I took a small amount of baby brine shrimp and poured it into the tank.They are everywhere so I am pretty sure they will be able to eat some.

Back
Top Bottom