apistogrammas question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 92 gallon planted aquarium with CO2. i have had rams for awhile but i have been running out of luck with them. i only have 3 rams left and i was considering trying out some sort of apistogrammas species instead.

but all i'm really wondering is how aggressive are they? i have read websites suggesting that only males show aggression toward eachother and otherwise they are peaceful, but other websites have suggested to only keep them in semi-aggressive aquariums and that they will mess with cory cats.

my aquarium is rather peaceful however. in it i have cory cats, otocinclus, yo yo loaches, zebra botias, bristlenose plecos, cardinal tetras and rummy nose tetras, as well as my 3 remaining rams. i have rather dense vegetation spots and a few caves.

would apistos be an alright choice?

Sounds like a good choice to me. I have 3 angels, 2 rummynoses, 4 Cochus blue tetras, 2 platies, 2 rams and 3 apisto cacatuoides females and 1 male, and a pair of apisto trifasciata in my 55. Only mild aggression and chasing away from territory occurs in there. I suggest lots of caves and hidey holes.

It would help to know which apisto you are looking at. Although they are similar in behaviors with other rams/apistos, some are a little more rude than others.

hmm well my LFS has apistogrammas cacatuoides, but other than those i'm looking at some apisto aggazi's or apisto njessinis on a web site.

also i've heard from a few sources they tend to pick on cory cats as well. i really am not sure but do you guys know about any of this?

Back
Top Bottom