apistos and hard, alkaline water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am thinking about stocking my planted tank with some apistos, however, my tap water is around ph8, and total hardness is at 375 (listed as mg/L)

will the apistos be ok? will the effects only be that they wont readily breed, or will they be stressed & pale looking too?

also, will they have problems with a couple/few cory cats beyond a little territorial posturing?

Thanks!

what type of apisto? my Apistogramma cacatuoides do fine in my PH 8.0 Liquid rock water.

they do fine with corries, just look at my info at my 75 gallon to see all the fish i keep with them... :D

cool, i hadnt narrowed it down to which species yet, does anyone have a short list of those that would do better than others in these water conditions?

the cacatuoides look pretty cool.

bubble bobble said:
cool, i hadnt narrowed it down to which species yet, does anyone have a short list of those that would do better than others in these water conditions?

the cacatuoides look pretty cool.
the key is to get apistos that are captive breed, not wild caught. captive breed (for a few generations) tend to be more adaptive to water conditions.

I have A. cacatuoides and A. trifasciata in my 55. My pH is around 7.2, but my hardness is 300 ppm....listed as "very hard" I not only have gorgeous fish, but they breed regularly as well. I agree, get captive bred one. The best are on Aquabid.....Ragman's Rams has some awesome apistos. ;)

Back
Top Bottom