Appisto selection for my 20gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will also hop in just to agree that I would ditch the serpaes. They can be rather nippy and fiesty. Often a large enough school will just do their own thing, but I agree that the activity level and risk are not worth it in this case. I will second that pencils are awesome if you can find some.
Another fish I would consider is the hatchet, if you like them. I would even do harlequin rasboras over serpaes. You will want something that swims a smidge higher in the water column than serpaes because all the last fish you suggested stay rather low in the tank. Rummies do too. While I agree that they are cool fish (if you can actually find some good stock), I would pick something that swims up higher like the pencils or one of the ones I suggested.

I agree with absolute and gillie in either the pencils (love then) or hatchets (especially marbled, they stay smaller and school pretty tightly

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I feel like hatchets are an aquired taste, pencils are way cool, only seen them in living color once. Hatchets look like floating debris to me, i don't know.. op.. take a good 15 min at the hatchet tank before you bag them up;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

lol....I am not a huge fan hatchets but the marbled ones are not too bad.

I actually am not a fan either, but only because they look like a tetra jumped out of the tank and got stepped on and died and now a zombie fish is floating around in the tank haunting its tankmates with its weird, flat body.
That said, many people like them and they are still a valid option if one likes them. They certainly are unique, and stand out in a tank. Also, they occupy the top of a tank more calmly than many other top dwelling alternatives (like danios, the most spaz-tastic of the fish world). That is why I added the "if you like them" disclaimer. Some people love them. They are also easy to get, and seem to be decently easy to acclimate. So, to each their own I guess.

I actually am not a fan either, but only because they look like a tetra jumped out of the tank and got stepped on and died and now a zombie fish is floating around in the tank haunting its tankmates with its weird, flat body.
That said, many people like them and they are still a valid option if one likes them. They certainly are unique, and stand out in a tank. Also, they occupy the top of a tank more calmly than many other top dwelling alternatives (like danios, the most spaz-tastic of the fish world). That is why I added the "if you like them" disclaimer. Some people love them. They are also easy to get, and seem to be decently easy to acclimate. So, to each their own I guess.

I just got t a visual haha. Excellent comparison!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom