Appisto selection for my 20gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toaduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys,

I've cycled my tank for a month and it's solid on parameters.

0 ammonia
0 nitrates
20 nitrates

My ph is 7.4 to 7.6

I want to keep appistos in a community of a few fish. My favorite is the cockatoo but realize it needs lower ph. Some people have advised me that they'd be fine in that ph. Several people on another forum said they would adjust.

I don't want to kill fish. I want them To be comfortable. What are my options and what are your feelings on cockatoo being ok in my tank.

Also if you have any other suggestions that would be better suited.
Thanks

Apisto cacs or cockatoos would be perfect for your water!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can't find anywhere online that will guarantee a pair. Male and female. I checked the wet spot, aquaria. Any other places y'all know of.

Any suggestions

Can you get a male and a female?

I see, they like shipping juvies... order 5 and I'll bet you get at least one male. Rehome as needed

I see, they like shipping juvies... order 5 and I'll bet you get at least one male. Rehome as needed

I dint know where I'd re home. My lfs is an absolute joke. I could ask them I guess.

You could do a trio in a 20long. What part of the country are you in?

I'm in memphis Tennessee.

It would have to be a harem if a trio.
Right?

I've watched videos of them spawning and I'm absolutely captivated.

I'm in memphis Tennessee.

It would have to be a harem if a trio.
Right?

I've watched videos of them spawning and I'm absolutely captivated.

Yah it's pretty cool.. I've had a pair spawn once and the female is amazing in action caring for fry.. I think a harem would be like 5 females to one male.. i had 1:2 and the female killed the other, it depends on individual temperament. .

Most Apistos are harem spawners. This simply means that the male will spawn with multiple females. If you create caves at either side of the 20l what will often happen is that the male will spawn with both females.

When this happens you will see one of my favorite apisto behaviors which is the females stealing fry from each other.

Of course, you never really know what will happen in that situation. Sometimes the male will kill one or both of the females or the first female that spawns will kill the other and/or the male. But in a 20l there is usually enough room to get away.

If I can't find a pair of cockatoos, how will blue rams do in my ph. I found a guy on eBay named yunite that has very good reviews.

I've heard good and bad about blue rams. Some say they have no luck and are sensitive.

The problem with blue rams is that many of them are poorly bred and fairly weak.

The wild ones are a lot more hardy but they like softer, more acidic water.

Yunites are supposed to be the best around, i keep wc in city tap, very soft, ph is 7.5. Trick is aging water in a barrel for a fee days before wc's..

Check out aquaticclarity.com, Jeff has some nice cacatuoides and borellii sold as pairs. You could easily do a small group of borellii in your tank without worry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check out aquaticclarity.com, Jeff has some nice cacatuoides and borellii sold as pairs. You could easily do a small group of borellii in your tank without worry.

Thanks so much. I just emailed him and he already replied. I'm gonna get a couple from him.

I've gotta get busy building a cave.

Now, I've heard so much about tank mates. What do you guys suggest. I want a school of 6 of something. Would Cory cats be ok also.

Nannostomus marginatus are awesome schooling fish(not just a shoaling fish) and won't eat any fry that you might get.

Nannostomus eques are also good depending on what you like.

If you're wanting fry? Corys and plecos are out... a nice shoal of ember tetras or green neons. You could also do 12 rummynose tetras. If it's a sand bottom I'd opt for the corys and just step up the cave game. Lace rock is nice, it offers lots of little nooks and crannies to stick eggs to. I once pulled a piece out and she had managed to stick about 30 eggs to the roof of the cave?!?! Game on cory;)

Back
Top Bottom