aquarium issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjmds97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I am new to the site but it looks like a great place to get great advice, My tank right now is cloudy and I'm not sure what to do to get the water clear, I have tried aqueons water clarifier, it seems to work somewhat but it has never compleatly cleared it and after a little bit it just starts to cloud up again. Does anybody have any advice?

How long has the tank been set up? If it's not been cleared by the filter then it's probably a bacterial bloom which is common in new tanks. Only time and water changes will tell. Have you cycled the tank yet?

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us here!

Yep, have you cycled your tank yet? How long has it been up and do you have water test results? ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?

Welcome!

I agree that some water testing is the way to go, if you have not done so already. Be sure to check ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Its been set up for about a week and it was crystal clear untill a few days after I introduced my fish and started feeding them. I had the same setup a few years ago and never had this problem. I tested the water yesterday and everything was totally normal.

Tjmds97 said:
Its been set up for about a week and it was crystal clear untill a few days after I introduced my fish and started feeding them. I had the same setup a few years ago and never had this problem. I tested the water yesterday and everything was totally normal.

If the tank was only set up a week ago, it's probably going through a bacteria bloom. Since the tank wasn't cycled.

So what do I do? Or does it just take time, and how long does it take for the tank to cycle? Thank you so much for the info, I am fairly new to keeping a serious aquarium rather then just throwing water and fish in a tank like when I was a kid lol. Thanks again.

Yes it just does take time, a lot of this hobby is patience :) until then your gonna have to keep testing your water and doing water changes to keep your water parameters in check

Your going to need a test kit to properly test the water so those fish will make it through the cycle. Testing water daily to check ammonia and nitrite levels, then performing daily water changes to keep those at the minimum safe level for fish which is 0.25ppm. Your cycle will take up to six weeks, it's finished when there's zero ammonia/nitrites and only nitrates are detectable. Below is the kit the majority of use.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001EUG8RO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/192-4754807-2680169

As Hukit Said definitely get a liquid test kit, the strips aren't reliable/accurate

Back
Top Bottom