Aragonite Sand or Cichlid Lake Salts and Buffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 55g Lake Malawai cichlid tank and I was going to use crushed coral as a substrate but after reading up on it, it seems crushed coral is more of a nitrate factory than anything. So now I am wondering whether to go with Aragonite to buff my pH or just use regular PFS and then use the Cichlid Lake Salts and Malawai buffers. Suggestions please?

In my personal opinion, the less supplements or things you have to add, the more stable the tank will be in terms of water parameters and happier your fish will be. In regards to CC vs. aragonite sand, I've used both, and both can accumulate debris and provide a location for it to break down, thus raising the level of usable nitrogen in the system. The primary difference has to do with the difference in size between the two substances. CC is larger (gravel sized), and thus provides larger openings for substances to settle. Aragonite on the other hand, has a much smaller grain size and thus makes it harder for things to settle into the substrate. It does not prevent this entirely however, and so if you are not maintaining the sandbed, it will create the same issues as the CC. Both substances break down over time and help keep the pH at the slightly higher level that is favored by the mbuna. Regardless of which substance you choose, both will require regular maintanence.

I have also been looking at the Eco-Complete Cichlid sand, anyone have any experience with this?

What is the ph of your tap? If it isnt too low i wouldnt even worry about buffering the water. A stable ph is much better than buffering and having a fluctuating ph.

Just want to piggy back onto this thread as the OP asked but it wasn't answered:
When using a buffering substrate ("carib sea eco complete" or aragonite sand) would I still need to use cichlid salt? I have already bought some but can return it!

Yes I am aware this thread is 212 days old; the question is still valid and was never answered.

Just want to piggy back onto this thread as the OP asked but it wasn't answered:
When using a buffering substrate ("carib sea eco complete" or aragonite sand) would I still need to use cichlid salt? I have already bought some but can return it!

Yes I am aware this thread is 212 days old; the question is still valid and was never answered.

I was also wondering about this. I started a shell-dweller tank and my ph is at 8.0 plus I have aragonite sand, so I know it's probably fine, but I know that the shellies prefer a really high ph, even up past 9.0. Should I use a buffer/salts or just leave it alone?

Back
Top Bottom