Are kenyi cichlids able to get malawi bloat much easier?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishManSinceFive

Aquarium Advice Regular
My kenyi cichlid died im guessing cuz of malawi bloat cuz he had a big stomach even tho he never ate as soon as i got him..... Are they able to catch malawi bloat easier than other african cichlids?

I never heard this but I wonder about it. I think they are all the same for bloat.

FishManSinceFive said:
But did mine have malawi bloat?

I don't know too much about this but I would rule out the other factors like water levels , agression and stuff like that. Was your tank cycled and good levels?

Its not cloudy i dont check anything i just guess all my other fish are fine i got the kenyi with 4 other fish

FishManSinceFive said:
Its not cloudy i dont check anything i just guess all my other fish are fine i got the kenyi with 4 other fish

I would check the water levels if you have test kit if you don't have one then I would get one. Otherwise you wouldn't know how he died. Cloudiness doesn't prove too much. Do you do PWCs? Do you know the sexes of the fish.

I do it sometimes im not too sure on the sexes theyre young and the older ones are not full grown

FishManSinceFive said:
I do it sometimes im not too sure on the sexes theyre young and the older ones are not full grown

Was the body damaged and what's the tank size?

No that guy could hold his own i saw him aggressive at one point then he changed constantly hiding during night time he would be out for a little he would never eat but his stomach was pretty big..... i got a 55 gallon my first big boy tank ;)

FishManSinceFive said:
No that guy could hold his own i saw him aggressive at one point then he changed constantly hiding during night time he would be out for a little he would never eat but his stomach was pretty big..... i got a 55 gallon my first big boy tank ;)

He could be getting bullied by others when the lights are off. That's one reason he coulda been shy. That's why some people overstock their tank or could of been water levels.

FishManSinceFive said:
That might be true but im not sure i have a weird combination of fish

Are they all African cichlids and compatible?

How long did you have the Kenyi? Did he ever eat since you got him? How many other fish do you have and how long have you had them?

I got a yellow lab cichlid, red zebra cichlid, bumblebee cichlid, ice blue zebra cichlid, convict cichlid, firemouth cichlid, chinese algae eater, red tail shark, burmese border loach, acei cichlid, pictus catfish, and two auratus cichlids

It sounds to me you need to do some research. Water changes are a necessity with these fish, and testing your water ensures everything is the way it's supposed to be. For all you know your ammonia could be sky high and he died from that. You Also need to split those fish up. Pick a lake and stick to it.

Just my .02, not trying to be a prick.

Been running for a few months nobodys hurting each other im going to keep it like this but ima put more hiding spots

Back
Top Bottom