Are there plant friendly cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

In the near future I will be re-scaping my 55 gal med/low light tank. I am going to wait until the angels finish pairing and remove the remaining 4.

What else can I keep with angels? I currently have:

8 lemon tetra
7 cherry barbs
2 BN plecos
4 corys
6 angels (will be 2 after they finish pairing up)

I am wondering what else I could add to the tank that will get along with all current inhabitants.

But I do want plant friendly critters since this will be a moderately planted tank. (Eventually a heavily planted tank with any luck!)

Thanks

You could have dwarf cichlids such as apistogrammas or rams, if you want to keep with the cichlid themes.

I'd steer clear of barbs, or any other cyprinids for that matter. Your angels will chomp on plant leaves occasionally (did we discuss this before? :) ). SA cichlids are plant friendly.

I'd steer clear of barbs, or any other cyprinids for that matter. Your angels will chomp on plant leaves occasionally (did we discuss this before? :) ). SA cichlids are plant friendly.
I beleive we did yes...lol. I think I want to rename the angels to devils...lol

Travis, manages to keep spectacular Africans in an awsome planted tank (maybe if the plants are nice enough the Mbuna won't want to mess up thier home). Looking at some of his galery shots might suggest some good species.

It should be noted that Travis's tank is 125 gals and african cichlids should be kept in as large a tank as possible. You can keep africans in a 55 but you will be much more limited to how many and what kind, not to mention they will not get along with angels. Better to keep to the smaller cichlids, such as the SA cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom