At What Age/Size to Yellow Labs Start to Breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got 6 Yellow Labs ranging from 1.5-3" in length. The oldest have been in there for a few months, but they all started out as tiny juveniles. I have decor with nooks and crannies that they can hide in. At about what age/size will they start to breed?

Water Temp/ Tank layout has a good part to do with it, make sure you have some rocks in the tank, a good flat one.

didysis said:
Water Temp/ Tank layout has a good part to do with it, make sure you have some rocks in the tank, a good flat one.

Care to elaborate on the temp? I keep my tank at about 78.

If you are trying to force breeding there is a trick. Pm me and I'll let you know, but I'd rather not post it here cause it can be a sure way to wipe a tank out if you're irresponsible.

didysis said:
Usually breed in warmer waters. My tank is at right at about 80 and my fish breed like crazy

+1....mine is the same temp and they won't stop! There's always at LEAST one holding...

good to know im trying the same thing so ill put some flat rocks in mine also.

Size mostly doesn't matter...

I've got 6 Yellow Labs ranging from 1.5-3" in length. The oldest have been in there for a few months, but they all started out as tiny juveniles. I have decor with nooks and crannies that they can hide in. At about what age/size will they start to breed?

...AGE does. Your fish should be at least 2 years old and about 2" before they will start to really breed on a regular basis. (This is an average. Some may start earlier, some later.) They will also do better in a larger aquarium even tho they are a smaller fish (max length 4"-5") 40 gal Long (48" x12"x12") & up. Space, privacy, and protection will produce more spawns than not.

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom