Aulunocara jacobfreibergi ided ideas for tankmates.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loureed

Aquarium Advice Regular
We ided our fave in our adopted African tank. He's a Aulunocara jacobfreibergi. I was wondering what would be the best tankmates for him? I have a 30 gallon setup with other Africans, but was considering moving him if it would be better for him ;)

Andrew McFadden said:
What are the other Africans?

Currently a red jewel, a yellow lab, a blue Acei, 2 baby kenyi and a few little "assorted" Africans that are little guys. I have been told that this was an odd mix, as I said its an "adopted" tank. We really love the Aulunocara jacobfreibergi and his personality. Thinking about starting a tank just for him and new guys or what should I do with the guys I have of not?

You can try putting it in with those I have mine with all of them except the kenyi and jewel. Just be ready to re home him if you need to. Or you could set up another tank and do an all peacock tank.

He's in with them currently, but seems to be getting nipped. I have yet to identify the culprit, they are so quick. Trying to sort out who will go together and who needs to be moved.

I'm starting up a tank for him now, get it started cycling. As for the other guys should they be fine together?

Loureed said:
I'm starting up a tank for him now, get it started cycling. As for the other guys should they be fine together?

Kenyi are a little more aggressive then the others but they may be fine. Everyone's tank is different so its kinda hard to say. The jewel I'm not sure about because its not a lake Malawi cichlid like the others and I've never tryed to keep one. It's an african river fish

I have mine with all the fish above except the kenyi. It's doing well for over a year now although occasionally get chased by my firefish peacock (he's much bigger). The other fish in the tank are afra cobue, acei, red jewel, azureus, borleyi, yellow lab, lionhead, Electra and red empress.
They are beautiful fish although can be very aggressive towards their own species. I had 4 in the same tank at one stage and had to separate them.
Never had kenyi before but heard they are very aggressive.

The jewel is probably my most parent like fish. He breaks up fights an the babies school around him. The lab is a general pain in the butt, I think your right about the kenyi. The older they get the more aggressive they are becoming. I'm not sure of the Acei yet he hasn't really done much to stand out I suppose. The other 2 tiny assorted I have no idea. One is white the other is golden colored with brown dusted on his head and top fin.

I can totally see that I was thinking the lab with the jewel and kenyi, the putting jake with Acei and little guys in another tank. See if they get on better. Once the two little ones get bigger I can I'd them and move them accordingly :) thanks for the help! These guys are beautiful but a bit more complex than I expected ;)

good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Loureed said:
Currently a red jewel, a yellow lab, a blue Acei, 2 baby kenyi and a few little "assorted" Africans that are little guys. I have been told that this was an odd mix, as I said its an "adopted" tank. We really love the Aulunocara jacobfreibergi and his personality. Thinking about starting a tank just for him and new guys or what should I do with the guys I have of not?

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I didn't see the concerns mentioned, so here goes:

Speaking reagrding size of fish and capacity of tank (not temperament compatibility):

Eurekas get rather large for Peacocks; up to 7" in length. That's way too big for a 30 gallon aquarium and belongs in a 75 gallon at least.
The Yellow-Tail Acei get up to 6" in length, which is also to big for a 30 gallon aquarium and belongs in at least a 55-75 gallon.
The two Kenyi get to be 6" in length, so belongs in a 55-75 gallon tank at least.
The Yellow Lab will get up to 5" which probably would get by in a 30, but should really be in a 55 gallon minumum.
The Red Jewel gets only 4" so could get by in a 30 gallon, but should really be in a 55 gallon minimum.

So far as teperament compatibility:

Purists will say that Peacocks should not be mixed with Labs. Opinions vary. If you do, make sure they match temperament.
Labs are peaceful Mbuna, but even peaceful Mbuna are aggressive overall.
Acei Mbuna that are a little more aggressive than Labs. Opinions vary as to whether Labs can go with Acei. 30 is too small to put them together.
The Red Jewel is about the same temperament as the Acei. I don't know much about them.
Kenyi are highly aggressive Mbuna with each other and with other fish. Not a good match for any of the other tankmates.

So if I were you I would sugget this at a minimum. Upgrade to a 75 gallon and trade in the Kenyi. Do a little more research on the Red Jewel. I'm not familiar with them. With a 75 you could add several more fish as well.

Labenator65000 said:
Sorry I'm late to the party, but I didn't see the concerns mentioned, so here goes:

Speaking reagrding size of fish and capacity of tank (not temperament compatibility):

Eurekas get rather large for Peacocks; up to 7" in length. That's way too big for a 30 gallon aquarium and belongs in a 75 gallon at least.
The Yellow-Tail Acei get up to 6" in length, which is also to big for a 30 gallon aquarium and belongs in at least a 55-75 gallon.
The two Kenyi get to be 6" in length, so belongs in a 55-75 gallon tank at least.
The Yellow Lab will get up to 5" which probably would get by in a 30, but should really be in a 55 gallon minumum.
The Red Jewel gets only 4" so could get by in a 30 gallon, but should really be in a 55 gallon minimum.

So far as teperament compatibility:

Purists will say that Peacocks should not be mixed with Labs. Opinions vary. If you do, make sure they match temperament.
Labs are peaceful Mbuna, but even peaceful Mbuna are aggressive overall.
Acei Mbuna that are a little more aggressive than Labs. Opinions vary as to whether Labs can go with Acei. 30 is too small to put them together.
The Red Jewel is about the same temperament as the Acei. I'm not sure if they are Mbuna and don't know much about them.
Kenyi are highly aggressive Mbuna with each other and with other fish. Not a good match for any of the other tankmates.

So if I were you I would sugget this at a minimum. Upgrade to a 75 gallon and trade in the Kenyi. Do a little more research on the Red Jewel. I'm not familiar with them. With a 75 you could add several more fish as well.

Thanks I didn't even notice the 30 gallon. Lol ;)

Its another thirty. Ok I have a 55 with a JD, a convict, a parrot and a clown knife. I have the thirty with the Africans. I have a 30 gallon tall and 29 gallon long lying around. I will be getting a 75 for the guys in the 55 in a month or so and the africans can graduate to the 55. I know they will get bigger and need moved but don't have the money to get bigger tanks just yet. ( I'm saving for them, I got bills to pay;)) I was just trying to "divide and conquer" this mixed up tank. While the recommendations for bigger tank are understood, that's something down the road for me. None of them are over an inch or so in size, I though the thirty would be fine for a month or so as long as I sorted the ones that get along from the ones that can't be housed together.

Alright, removed the lab, and the two kenyi. I traded them for two more babies. This leaving the tank at
1 jake
1 jewel
1 blue Acei
These each an inch
And 4 little baby Africans at most a half inch.
I added a bunch more hides, and fed them some treats ;)now they are all happy and content swimming around together no more nips or darts. Jake has brightened his colors amaze me!

Sorry the photos are bad, camera phone + dirty outside glass + sandy cleaning with water change :(

Attachments

• image-2266812192.jpg
    image-2266812192.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2962970332.jpg
    image-2962970332.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1728063873.jpg
    image-1728063873.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 50
Back
Top Bottom