Auratus changing colors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steelerfish412

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went away for the weekend and come back and my auratus is a lot darker just wondering if this is normal and why?

image-1403881755.jpg

Before

image-2278879199.jpg

After

Yes, those are the colors of a dominant male. Females and sub doms will stay mainly yellow.

Hmmmm thank you guess I'm gonna have to get a female then. I got him for the black and yellow look since I'm in Pittsburgh and this was my steeler fish.

Where did you get him from aquaworld or elmers? I'm just south of pittsburgh so if you know anyone looking for corals hit me up lol.

It's on the Westside in emsworth. It's about 1 mile from the emsworth exit on 79.

Ill have to look it up I've actually never heard of that town never really go out that way I'm right by McKeesport

It's just right after Robinson township, you should know that one lol.

About 95% of the time they have a full auratus tank for sale along with quite a few other cichlids. It's worth checking em out.

I've never been to elmers, I go to wet pets instead for the equivalent. Elmers and wet pets have higher mark ups due to the fact that they have such nice displays and everything which the customer in the end has to pay for. Aquaworld has the best prices and a larger selection but it has a mom and pop shop feel. Really it is a family run mom and pop store just really big lol. They got sw, FW, and reptiles. To name a few things they even got a two headed turtle, some 4-5+ foot gators, and a snapping turtle that could take your arm off haha. Like I said, its worth atleast swinging by and walking around. They have beautiful SW displays and Jeff (the middle son) knows his s***.

Ill have to check it out Elmer's has a nice selection of sw fish but not that many malawi and I pretty much have every kind they have minus the ones I'm not interested in. I usually get 3 for 30 or 3 for 22 depends which kind. Last time I picked up a small rusty the auratus and a female kenyi. Recently tho it's like when I go there I just see the same fish I already have unless the different ones get bought up quick.

With cichlids you really do have to get there on shipment days to get the good stuff. Pretty much any where you go you'll find a hand full of people that do that at every fish store. Every time a shipment comes in they are almost always there for first pick so all the good ones are gone by the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom