Auratus cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What else can I put in there and do they breed eaisly

I've got a male and 3 female auratus in my tank, but I've mixed with everything from the docile rusty sprengae to tthe more aggressive kenyis. As long as you got the space and hiding spots as well as sufficient overstocking levels I recon pretty much any Mbuna will do fine. Having said that my tank is a 90gal so yours might be pushing it on the small side. Oh, also I'd stay away from adding any more from the melanochromis subspecies, so stay away from the maingano, johanni and perileucos in particular. That's what I've found works at least.

I have bunch of kenyi, acei, and yellow lab with mine. Male Kenyi and Auratus like to duke it out for territory at times. It has gotten pretty aggressive twice. Water change and lots of other fish and decorations seem to mellow them out a little.

African mbuna don't pair up like some new worlds housing just a pair of either sex would end with one beat up or dead. Auratus are one of the more aggressive mbuna and should be kept with at least 3 or 4 female for each male in a big tank.

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom