Back ground color and SA colors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up another 55 and want to paint the back but have not been happy with any backgrounds I have used. I was at the lfs the other day and they have the typical light blue painted back and sides. The tanks are very bright and I asked about the lighting they use. Just typical T8 bulbs. Of course all their sa's are juvies and not colored up yet so I'm wondering if anyone has this combo on their tank and if the light blue with a natural substrate will wash out the color, give a natural color or enhance the color. Im thinking that the light blue on the back and sides helps reflect the light back into the tank and make it brighter.

I had a friend who paints cars blend mine lighter to darker blue, it adds some depth to the tank.

27198-albums2013-picture13430.jpg

27198-albums2013-picture13426.jpg

27198-albums2013-picture13428.jpg

So lighter at the top? What do you think about painting the sides?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So lighter at the top? What do you think about painting the sides?

Yes lighter at the top and darker towards the bottom. I paint the sides of my tanks in the fish because they're are 40 breeders touching each other but unless the fish can see the other tanks I wouldn't personally do that. I will say I have many friends who paint the sides but for display tanks in living spaces I don't care for it.

Cool thanks.

Not sure yet.

I go with black for my backgrounds, makes the hardscape really stand out IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a tank with black on black and its so dark. I like/hate it. Lol. If the tank would look bright with the black I would do this one that way too.

I won't ever use black sand again. The fish darkened so drastically and always looked stressed.

Excichlasoma festae over black Tahitian moon sand.

27198-albums1492-picture36543.jpg

Over white pool filter sand within a hour.

27198-albums1492-picture37020.jpg

A day later or two later.

27198-albums1492-picture38284.jpg

I don't think I can recall seeing a green background before?

Leave your lights on for 15 hrs a day and skip a few wcs.. green background!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Think im going with the light blue background and natural sand. If it turns out as I want then ill move the lyonsi to this new tank then redo his tank the same.

I won't ever use black sand again. The fish darkened so drastically and always looked stressed.

Wow. I wonder if that is effecting my Oscars color? That is really dramatic...

Hukit I think there is a little more than the sand on this one I see eggs in the last picture.:whistle:

Those eggs are old news!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't get loud!

LOL I know that I'm saying that has something to do with the color change of the festae.

She stayed that color even after eggs, none of my females changed color before or after spawning. Plus that wench killed nearly everyone trying to guard those things( the worst spot to defend).

After experimenting an a old 10 gallon I decided to go with a light blue paint.
1st coat is on 2 more to go. I should be picking up the substrate and stand on Friday so I will post a picture after its set up. Unfortunately I need to relocate 2 tanks to put this one where I want it.

Back
Top Bottom