Bala shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dellis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could a Bala Shark be added to a AF cichlid tank? Shark is about 5 in and cichlids are 2-3in. I know shark will get to abt 14in overall.

Ok so you have the same as me. Its not very recommended because they get 12inches and like to school and like to swim with other bala sharks.

Well, I wouldn't consider getting him alone if you have other fish. I would drop the idea of getting one(not to offend you or you're choice). Unless you can find a way to handle at least 3 of them...

They need to be schooled.

Last edited by a moderator:
They need to be schooled.

I've had one in my 75 gallon African cichlid tank no issues. I did however re home it when it started to get a little bigger.

It never bothered my red tailed shark, pleco, feather fin, synodontis or any of my loaches.

In a 55 it would be pushing it, but if your really set on getting one. Get a small one and enjoy it. When it starts getting big re home it.

My friend just re homed 4 tin foil barbs after they out grew his 125. He's getting smaller ones tomorrow.

You are correct though... They do prefer 3 or more, at least that's what the "book" says. Then again I'm sure my fish prefer not to be in my glass box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya ik im sorry lol. But my mom kept a bala in a 75 with african cichlids.

No need to be sorry, just understand we all do things different. I had one, I know people that do. Does it make it right by the "book?" No but... If you want one by all means...

I don't judge and I'm in no position to tell anyone what to do, to a certain degree anyway...

Mine was fine for over a year.

No more bickering please. Argumentative posts have been deleted. I do not want to close this thread but if the arguing continues, I will do so.

Will a bala die if not kept with other balas? No, probably not (unless the cichlids go after it, and there's no way to know beforehand whether that will happen). Will it exhibit the same behavior as a bala kept in a group, in a tank large enough for a group? No, probably not.

Ultimately it is your tank and your decision, but it's not something I would try either in a 55 gallon, or with a group of mixed Africans.

No more bickering please. Argumentative posts have been deleted. I do not want to close this thread but if the arguing continues, I will do so.

Will a bala die if not kept with other balas? No, probably not (unless the cichlids go after it, and there's no way to know beforehand whether that will happen). Will it exhibit the same behavior as a bala kept in a group, in a tank large enough for a group? No, probably not.

Ultimately it is your tank and your decision, but it's not something I would try either in a 55 gallon, or with a group of mixed Africans.

^^^^^ yup

It is the only survivor from a rescue I did for a friend. Their tank had a major failure on the bottom seal. I saved one shark, an Angel and an eel. Had two other sharks die and an angel. I had to set up a small tank on less then an hours notice. Seems like I will have to rehome them or trade for a couple of small cichlids at the local supplier. Thx for all the input.

It is the only survivor from a rescue I did for a friend. Their tank had a major failure on the bottom seal. I saved one shark, an Angel and an eel. Had two other sharks die and an angel. I had to set up a small tank on less then an hours notice. Seems like I will have to rehome them or trade for a couple of small cichlids at the local supplier. Thx for all the input.

Well you did the right thing and have time to make your next move. Nicely done!

Back
Top Bottom