Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Beat up Cichlid 🙁

I have a peacock Cichlid that got beat up pretty bad by a couple other cichlids in my tank last night. I woke up this morning and he is missing mostly all of his fins and tail. I noticed he wasnít swimming well and when he tried to swim up to the front of the tank he ended up flopping upside down and now he wonít go back upright and if he does itís only for a few seconds. I feel horrible and donít know if there is any hope for him or what else to do. What I have done so far is I put him in a breeder net just to get him away but that wasnít working out well in the tank he was in so to alleviate as much stress on him as I could I moved him to my hospital tank but left him in the breeder because I wanted to make sure he could get to the top if he needed. I donít know if I should keep him in there or let him out? I also put aquarium salt and started treating with melafix. I also put some stress coat in there. He is moving around a lot but not upsright and he looks to be in pretty bad shape. I donít know what else I can do??Is he going to die? If there is anything else I can do please let me know. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	306841  

Old 02-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #2

Hereís another photo of him. For some reason it wonít let me upload more than one at a time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	306843  

Old 02-02-2018, 09:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think you've done all you can for tonight. As long as the tanks water is clean you just have to see how he is tomorrow. I would keep him in breeder for the night.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 PM   #4

Ok thanks. He seems to be moving around a bit more now but he just canít get back upright. I have just shut all the lights out and will keep checking on him and hope for the best 😕
Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Jess
Sorry about your injured cichlid. I also keep cichlids, a lot of them. I manage their aggression by making numerous rock and driftwood hiding places for the weaker ones to retreat to.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #6

Yea I have caves, driftwood and all kinds of hiding places in my Main tank 😕 I think he just wouldnít give up and they were out for him. Here is a picture of my main tank there usually in
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A3F10E18-D3C5-4FEC-A3F2-53B691B4704B.jpg
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	306844  
Old 02-02-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank looks good. It's difficult to achieve peaceful balance in most cichlid tanks.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:12 PM   #8

Thanks �� definitely still a work in progress but I feel like with all my tanks I’m constantly changing things around lol. And like I said this is my first attempt with cichlids but I just love them so I’m hoping I can make it work. Fingers crossed he will make it. I will post tomm and see where he’s at. Again Thanks for your help��
Old 02-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

How big is your tank ? Are you keeping Mbuna's or just peacocks, peacocks are normally that aggressive to each other, good luck!
Old 02-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #10

My tank is a 30 and no I had a mix but realized that’s what the problem was so I took the 2 that were causing problems back yest. And just to update he is doing amazing this morning back upright and I took him out of the breeder because he kept running into the walls and he seems to be swimming around fine now. Have him another dose of melafix and just waiting and keeping a close eye on him.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Your problem is your tank is much to small for cichlids. 55 gallon is the minimum for keeping cichlids. My advice is go as big as you can afford. Also overcrowding is the key to lesson aggression.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your first experience with cichlids are to be Africans, you are exposing yourself to a crash course in hyper aggression. That aggression will be amplified in a smaller tank. If it's not too late, might consider starting your cichlid experience with a little colony of Bolivian Rams.
You've got a great attitude towards fish keeping. I'm sure you'll do fine.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Glad the fish is better.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #14

Yea I have gotten mixed things about the size of the tank I was told a 30 would be fine for 6-8 Africans then after I had already gotten them I had someone else tell me they should be in a 55 at least. So your the only other person that has told me this and online I read conflicting sizes as well. And I do have a tank with rams in there and I love them �� but wanted to do Africans and as of now my tank is going great no agression at all since I got the other 2 out. Even today my smallest one is out and roaming around which usually hides all day and night. Quick question.. should I be adding more aquarium salt mix and taking out some of the water daily or leave it be for now? And stress coat how often should I be putting that in? I know it’s really just a conditioner with aloe so not sure how significant that is in helping the peacock? He seems to be doing a weird shaking but still swimming around fine?

Tags
ich, cichlid, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com