Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Beat up yellow lab

I'm starting a hospital tank for this poor yellow lab everyone is harassing him. He's got chewed up fins and just looks terrible. I hope to nurse him back to health and maybe reintroduce him with some new fish. What is good for me to put in the tank to help him heal?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #2

Definitely a good idea to rehab,do you have any other labs in your tank?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Labs are more peaceful than other african cichlids
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

There is a product put out by API called stress coat, which I have sometimes found to be of help in these situations. It claims to help replace the natural slime layer of the fish and help them recover.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

I've been told that the antibiotics in api stress coat can damage the biofilter but "minimal"amounts in the home tank during the addition of new fish would be managable..so I guess that adding to the hospital tank would be preferrable...hope you're able to rehab your lab,I have 9 in total & would suck to lose even one...good luck
Old 11-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger terror View Post
I've been told that the antibiotics in api stress coat can damage the biofilter but "minimal"amounts in the home tank during the addition of new fish would be managable..so I guess that adding to the hospital tank would be preferrable...hope you're able to rehab your lab,I have 9 in total & would suck to lose even one...good luck
Good information to have, thank you for sharing.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #7

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I found some melafix in my fish pantry. Would it to put it in the hospital tank? I do have another yellow lab they used to be buddies but now he's the most aggressive towards the other. We even got them at the same time like 6-8 months ago. We have no females in the tank to my knowledge. I don't understand the sudden aggression.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #8

I've used melaflex with mixed results,give it a shot&if there are no improvements you might try something else(stress coat is a good product).also if you haven't already be sure to raise the temp in the ht&add aquarium salt..(freshwater)
Old 11-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #9

Definitely! Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelynchfamily
Definitely! Thanks for all the help!
Hey,how's your lab doing?better I hope
Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger terror View Post

Not at all. Stresscoat is a dechlorinator that many people use. It just has aloe and some other things. You must have confused this with something else.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #12

Did you have melaflex on hand?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #13

The lab is much better and happier in the hospital. His fins are growing back. I did have melafix on hand this is day 7 of treatment. Most of his back fin is gone I just hope it comes back! I do need to get a filter for this tiny tank I have sand substrate, any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelynchfamily
The lab is much better and happier in the hospital. His fins are growing back. I did have melafix on hand this is day 7 of treatment. Most of his back fin is gone I just hope it comes back! I do need to get a filter for this tiny tank I have sand substrate, any suggestions?
I have 10g ht setup with a female zebra in it currently..using melaflex myself also..I'm not using any substrate though...using a small aquean filter which came with tank.as far as a filter cartridge I'm using a filter media cut to fit.I also due 1 daily pwc...

Tags
eat, yellow lab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com