Beat up yellow lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thelynchfamily

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting a hospital tank for this poor yellow lab everyone is harassing him. He's got chewed up fins and just looks terrible. I hope to nurse him back to health and maybe reintroduce him with some new fish. What is good for me to put in the tank to help him heal?

There is a product put out by API called stress coat, which I have sometimes found to be of help in these situations. It claims to help replace the natural slime layer of the fish and help them recover.

I've been told that the antibiotics in api stress coat can damage the biofilter but "minimal"amounts in the home tank during the addition of new fish would be managable..so I guess that adding to the hospital tank would be preferrable...hope you're able to rehab your lab,I have 9 in total & would suck to lose even one...good luck

I've been told that the antibiotics in api stress coat can damage the biofilter but "minimal"amounts in the home tank during the addition of new fish would be managable..so I guess that adding to the hospital tank would be preferrable...hope you're able to rehab your lab,I have 9 in total & would suck to lose even one...good luck

Good information to have, thank you for sharing.

Thank you so much for the recommendations. I found some melafix in my fish pantry. Would it to put it in the hospital tank? I do have another yellow lab they used to be buddies but now he's the most aggressive towards the other. We even got them at the same time like 6-8 months ago. We have no females in the tank to my knowledge. I don't understand the sudden aggression.

I've used melaflex with mixed results,give it a shot&if there are no improvements you might try something else(stress coat is a good product).also if you haven't already be sure to raise the temp in the ht&add aquarium salt..(freshwater)

Not at all. Stresscoat is a dechlorinator that many people use. It just has aloe and some other things. You must have confused this with something else.

The lab is much better and happier in the hospital. His fins are growing back. I did have melafix on hand this is day 7 of treatment. Most of his back fin is gone I just hope it comes back! I do need to get a filter for this tiny tank I have sand substrate, any suggestions?

Thelynchfamily said:
The lab is much better and happier in the hospital. His fins are growing back. I did have melafix on hand this is day 7 of treatment. Most of his back fin is gone I just hope it comes back! I do need to get a filter for this tiny tank I have sand substrate, any suggestions?

I have 10g ht setup with a female zebra in it currently..using melaflex myself also..I'm not using any substrate though...using a small aquean filter which came with tank.as far as a filter cartridge I'm using a filter media cut to fit.I also due 1 daily pwc...

Back
Top Bottom