Best food for oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tas912

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can anyone recommend a good food for tiger oscars?

Live feeders aren't the best option good as a treat but really have no protein and may carry parasites I'd feed frozen blood worms some cichlid pellets and feeders rarely

Yes I agree with the above. Feeder goldfish are mass produced and carry lots of parasites. It's best to stick with frozen foods such a bloodworms and a good name brand pellet

No just parasites but they can cause thiamine deficiency. Get a quality cichlid pellet such as tetra, or hikari cichlid gold. Feed frozen or freeze dried food as a treat. NO FEEDERS!

As said no FEEDERS. Use a good pellet as the staple. Omega one and NLS are the best with hikari cichlid gold coming in a close 2nd. Feed also veggies for a portion of the diet. Around 25%. Give a treat once a week such as frozen blood worms, shrimp, worms, cricket, and my oscars fav.. grasshoppers. Also get some Boyds vitachem liquid vitamins, and soak some freeze dried krill once a week with it by putting some drops on the krill and leaving it for a bit. This is a part of the diet that is essential for good bone development among other things. Vitamin C being the most important for good oscar health. Hopefully you have this oscar in a big enough and not overstocked tank or your just headed for disaster. Lots of large frequent water changes are a must to keep nitrates below 20ppm. I have one oscar in a 125 gallon with silver dollars and need to do 2-3 60-75% water changes a week. Most people don't realize just how important and how much clean water is needed for good health. If your oscar is older than a year, only feed it every 2 days. Over feeding is bad for their health and will shorten their life due to fatty liver disease.

Back
Top Bottom