Best Food, In your experience for Cichlid/Dwarf Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gallowchris

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok people I don't read much about the food which we feed our little finned friends and the other day I a forum we started discussing different foods for Dwarf Cichlids. So I though I would put the question of; What do you find the best for your Cichlids or Dwarf Cichlids (lets also include Discus)? List the brands and types of Cichlids in your tank

Food:
Ocean Nutrition - Formula Two (suggested by Discusapisto) the Dwarfs love it!
Hikari- Cichlid Gold
Omega - Cichlid Flakes (not so sure about this one for the Dwarfs, worked with Convicts)
Dried Blood Worms

Dwarf Cichlids:
4 Long Fin GBR
4 Golden Rams

9 Neons
3 Bandit Cory's
3 Red Tails

Food: Ocean nutrition(formula two/one),community flake,and spirulina flake. Tetra color bits and micro crabs. Hikari discus bio-gold pellets and freeze dried spirulina brine shrimp, daphnia. Frozen spirulina enriched brine shrimp,bloodworms/glass worms, mysis shrimp, live foods-chopped earthworms, white worms live brine shrimp, blanched veggies. And I'm dead serious when I say this but I feed bits of banana to my discus they love it! Cichlid list: discus, German blue rams,curviceps, apistogramma cacatoides (orange flash),pandurini,macmasteri ,golden eye dwarfs,and a few other apistos I'm forgetting at the moment.pair of key hole cichlids.

Great! Thanks guys. Lets keep this going! Nutrition is very important to all of our finned friends :)

Malawi novo green algae flakes and new era cichlid pellets (green algae)
Very occasionally frozen brine shrimp cubes and once every other month live river shrimp.

I feed all my fish NLS 1mm Cichlid and/or .5mm Grow pellets. African, SA and CA cichlids, rainbows, pleco's, catfish, tetras, even a Carapo and a zebra knife fish all eat them. Occasionally I feed spirulina flake or frozen bloodworms, and once weekly canned green beans.

NLS 1mm cichlid pellets 6days & lettuce or peas or algea wafers on the 7th depending on how lazy i feel that sunday.

I have frozen blood worm, frozen shrimp, omega one flakes, omega one pellets, hikari gold pellets, hikari excel pellets, new life spectrum, wardley crumbled cichlid crumbs, wardley spirulina discs.

I feed with Hikari gold gold mini cichlid pellets. There a little on the large size just wasn't aware there were baby pellets. They enjoy it. Then I occasionally throw in some frozen brine shrimp. I eventually want to breed some brine just for food.

Dwarf cichlids are omnivorous & they will adapt to any reasonable range of foods. Wild caught fish will generally have been more used to live food so may take a little while to get used to dried foods. That's also true of some tank bred fish where the breeder prefers live foods for raising the fish. I've always found brine shrimp good. With dwarf cichlids I stay away from tubifex & blackworms, because they grow in environments that are rich in bacteria & I've noticed that dwarf cichlids are more prone than most fish to bacterial infection. I do like the Life Spectrum pellets.

Omega one cichlid pellets that float. I like the ones that sink better.

it has lower protein content and better quality ingredients than other foods. not saying that the others are bad, just seems to be less prone to bloat on NLS pellets

Back
Top Bottom