Best Heater..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Tex

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 55 gal with about 18 cichlids in it using a marinland emperor 400 filter and no powerhead yet, im looking to get a heater and ph together, any suggestions for my tank size..? is there a rule of thumb for watts/gallon ratio..?

It's pretty simple all the heaters tell you what size tank how many litres-gallons. But I have learnt from reading here that prob better to use two smaller heaters , in case one breaks an more even heat distribution

The rule of thumb is 3-5 watts per gallon. The only heater I use since the Stealths went south is Eheim Jäger, the look great and perform flawlessly.

I have the fluval e 300. Digital screen, tells you what the temp of the tank is. Keeps the temp within .5 of set temp always.

would it be wise to put the heater behind the powerhead to help circulate the warmer water..?

would it be wise to put the heater behind the powerhead to help circulate the warmer water..?

Ya definitely. That's what I do. Before I had the power head, (I had a different heater) but I would have to turn the heater up an extra 3 or 4 degrees to get to my designated temperature. Actually still had that heater when I got my powerhead, put them next to each other, had no problem with my temp being to low anymore.

Ya definitely. That's what I do. Before I had the power head, (I had a different heater) but I would have to turn the heater up an extra 3 or 4 degrees to get to my designated temperature. Actually still had that heater when I got my powerhead, put them next to each other, had no problem with my temp being to low anymore.

sweet, i knew it would be a good idea i just didnt wanna sound sooooo smart and get shot down lol thanks again guys my tanks coming together nicely!

sweet, i knew it would be a good idea i just didnt wanna sound sooooo smart and get shot down lol thanks again guys my tanks coming together nicely!

Glad to hear it, post some pics when you get everything done. I'm sure you plan on it

Back
Top Bottom