best sand to buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidheaven

Aquarium Advice Regular
So wanna switch over to sand and wanna know what's the best and cheapest sand to buy o and post your sand setup so I may see thanks

Aqua Terra. I got it from my LFS. Funny thing is I just did the gravel to sand transfer in my 55 Cichlids tank. Lol.. I did like a how to tip video http://youtu.be/eHSweN9wkBg

Before n after pics attached... Very happy with it.

Attachments

• image-2040290786.jpg
    image-2040290786.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3634077372.jpg
    image-3634077372.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 118
Here are some before and after sand to gravel. I used chiclid sand my tank is very clear after about a day

Attachments

• image-719970352.jpg
    image-719970352.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 106
  • image-401233115.jpg
    image-401233115.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 93
  • image-2619604768.jpg
    image-2619604768.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3911940016.jpg
    image-3911940016.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 99
How much it cost I heard you can use pool filter sand that's like 10 bucks at a hardware store I'm all about saving money and and is it hard to keep clean

I use sand from petco it's a little larger and doesnt get vacuumed up so easy I found five pound bags on Clarence so I got it in all my tanks now

I post mine from petsmart I got 2 20 pound bags that filled my 55 gallon pretty good. I know it's a little more expensive it was like $25 a bag so $50 for both but so far I have found my water is alot more clear an the chiclids love it. It also has stuff in the sand to help froth of healthy bacteria. I just figured it was worth a shot cuz I have bought tank clarifier stuff and all that chemicals when I had the gravel but since I have had the sand I haven't used anything of those chemicals.

Nope, it's way easier than gravel to keep clean. You will be amazed at how dirty the gravel is. With sand, everything will stay on top, and make it much easier to clean. Add a good power head, and its even easier. A lot of people use PFS, play sand, or blasting stand. If you go to the home page of the site, there is an article about going for a more natural look in your tank, and it explains the different types of sand, how to clean it, and what types are best to use.

Ya since I added sand I just love walking by my tank and just looking at it. Plus my chiclids are out alot more. I have a jd that just used to hide even though he is the biggest in my tank but he is alot more active and so are all the other fish

I've always used sand. Kids playsand, try and get the lighter colour. Some kids sand is very brown(good for planted) but the bright sand imo looks way nicer..As someone else said, make sure you wash it really really well..Stops the tank getting cloudy. Also by washing it well, you wash away all the light floating sand and are left with the heavier sand, which sinks when disturbed and won't cloud your water...I just put it in a bucket and wash it with a garden hose..You will lose a far bit, so get more than you need..It's really cheap, get plenty, always good to have some spare....

I agree, use play sand or fool filter sand. The aquarium brand sands are way over priced and they do the same thing. Save yourself some money and your tank will look just as good!

Sounds good everyone so today I will be buying pool filter sand since it has a thicker grain not too thin so it won't clouded the water

Sounds good everyone so today I will be buying pool filter sand since it has a thicker grain not too thin so it won't clouded the water
It's not the size of the grain that makes it cloud. It's the dirt!!. Smaller grain is more compact, so the dirt won't fall through it.. Make sure you give it a good wash until the water runs clear. Washing it really well outside the tank will stop the water being cloudy at the start and it will be almost crystal clear from the start...
Good luck with it!!
Tip; When adding the water(or even when doing your pwc) put a bowl(soup bowl) or plate in the tank. Pour your water onto this..It'll stop the water clouding....

I use Carib sea african cichlid mix sand.

The ph holds strong at 8.2 for my Africans .

Wash wash wash!! Probably the easiest thing to do it put it in a five bucket about 3/4 full and stick a water hose in and cut on. Just keep pushing the hose to the bottom of the bucket till it runs clear.

Ok so play sand is good or pool filter sand and is a 50 pound bag enough to fill a 55 gallon tank jw

Back
Top Bottom