Best way to clean drift wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you leached the wood?

Edit: Is it brand new and you need to leach it? Or are does it have a white cloudy algea? If it's the latter, I just use a tooth brush and scrub it off.

Do you know what kind of wood it is? I have leached mopani driftwood. What I did with mine is I soaked it in a big trash can. I bought a Seachem Purigen filter pad dropped it in the bottom of the trash can. I soaked it in warm dechlorinated water, changing the water everyday. I did that for almost 2 weeks if not longer. But I had several big pieces. I stopped when the water was a faint tea color.

...I'm sure someone else might be able to give more advice.

Snap a picture. Still presoaking it and scrubbing it in warm water would be a good idea!

Il get a picture up later and I left out in hot water last night but the water was still clear this morning

Cool, You might have a different type of wood. You might want to keep it in there and scrub it down, just to make sure you get anything in you tank that is unwanted.

It doesn't look like mopani wood and unfortunately I don't have any experience with any other kind of wood. It still might be in your nest interest to wash it off with warm water. You just want to make sure nothing gets into your tank.

If it was in a tank at the store just match the temp and drop it in your tank. Theres good bacteria growing on it of it was

You can also run it in the dishwasher with no soap, or boil it to sanitize. But id only do that if it was dry at the store

The smaller pieces I bought for my tank I boiled for 20 mins&let it set for 5 more in the pot,sanitising & curing at the same time.Also mine were dry as well.

Back
Top Bottom