Better my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie19882010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok right now I have a 75 gal tank that only has gravel ,filter,light and a heater and of course my fish lol.... Is there anything else I need to make my tank function better ? Or even look better?

Well I am redoing the carpet so they are in a different tank at the moment so I can't get any pictures but wanted to get ideas so I can have it all let up when they go back :) what kind of picture do you new to see exactly ?

This is the 44 gal but the same what will be in the 75

Attachments

• image-892859254.jpg
    image-892859254.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3610629626.jpg
    image-3610629626.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 68
Also I see a lot of people with sand instead of gravel is that a good choice ? Is it hard to clean or keep clean ?

Maybe some drift wood, some rocks, and a back ground of some sort. The back ground could be as simple as painting the back. A lot of people will use black, and if your tank is empty at the moment, that makes it that much easier to do.

I prefer sand. I found it really hard to get all the waste out of it. With sand, it sits on top, so it's easier to vacuum up. Add a power head, and its even easier.

What kind of rock ? ... Paint the back ? What kinda paint do people use for something like that ?

Sorry another question lol ... What's the best sand to use and also what do you use to clean your sand ?

What kind of rock ? ... Paint the back ? What kinda paint do people use for something like that ?

Any kind of aquarium rock, slate, limestone, river rock. As for paint, I think most use the Krylon spray paint. If you do a search on the forum, you can find some really good ideas. I have a 3d one hat I bought, so I haven't used the paint. I have holey rock in my cichlid tank to help buffer the ph.

image-3139303308.jpg

I'm going to go get a test kit so I can test the water on my own what lvls would you suggest them to be at ?

I bought actual cichlid sand, but its expensive. You can use play sand, pool sand, blasting sand. As for cleaning, what I did was fill a 5 gallon bucket about half full, put my garden hose in it, move the hose up and down in the sand until it runs clear. I just let the water overflow the bucket (do it outside :) ). It takes awhile, but was well worth it.

With sand would I need a different filter then what i have in there now ?

I'm going to go get a test kit so I can test the water on my own what lvls would you suggest them to be at ?

Get the API master fresh water kit. Don't use test strips, they are not accurate. From the picture, it looks like you have an Oscar. They are waste producing machines. You want your ammonia to be 0, nitrites 0, nitrates less than 10, and ideally ph to be around 8, but when it comes to ph, consistent is better then any set number. Most fish bought at your LFS don't need the ph to be as high as it is the wild, but it does need to be consistent.

Back
Top Bottom