Black algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newageclassiccar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ive got a 75g bowfront. My filters ar rated to do 100g and another rated to do 75 gallons and the water stays clear but I get black algae on back glass and on my sand. Any ideas? I've only got 3 fish in it at the moment totaling 7 inches.

Scrub it off, cut back your lighting and feed less. That seems to be the best remedy. If you enjoy algae eaters one may help but not eliminate it completely

It's the algae growing on the white sand it's my biggest concern. It grows like a carpet. I have a siphon gravel cleaner that doesn't do anything. It sucks out more sand than anything else.

Do you have any pictures of the algae? Ive never seen black algae before, very dark green but not black. Id be interested to see it.

If its black beard algae I bought a 75g setup that had it all over the lace rocks, bottom around the glass, fake plants. I took them out used some hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed them with a bristle brush, scrapped stuff off glass, reduced the lights on for maybe 6 hours. Haven't seen any of it growing back at all.

Back
Top Bottom