Black Convict Guarding Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what people say, if you start them together and size them properly you can mix them without any problems, I have 2 different tanks this way with no problems whatsoever, maybe if you did some testing and didn't just go by what people say, you would find that out, my Kenyi's just had babies successfully in the same tank and are now thriving in a 10 gallon.

I'd say you've been lucky. I'm not gonna preach or start an argument. Yes some fish can coexist I'm the same tank but fish from different regions all together isn't a good idea. Convicts however are probably the hardest cichlid you'll find. So they adapt and adapt fast. Doesn't mean it's right. Different fish require different pH levels, hardness, food, temps. Some like open swimming space, some are cave dwellers or rock dwellers. I speak from experience, it doesn't work in the long run. I've lost plenty of fish using the same attitude you have and let me be VERY CLEAR! I'm in no way shape or form knocking you. I respect everyone here and only talk from my own knowledge and experiences. If I never had bad experiences then I wouldn't be speaking. I'm glad things are going well for you. Convicts are extremely aggressive when breeding and guarding baby's. ( beautiful convict btw) I just wouldn't do it, I don't think in the end it's gonna be good. Mbuna's are aggressive fish as well and need a whole different range of parameters. Yes chances are they were tank raised and were in a pH lower then required BUT don't you think they would thrive being closer to what they should be in, in nature. It's bad enough we take them and put them in a glass box for out enjoyment. The least we could do is make as much like home as possible. This is all my opinion and again, I say this will all the respect in the world. Sometimes I lack finesse with words so I have to stress that part. I wish you luck.

Not offended at all, I have over 150 Cichlids and have only lost 1 to aggression, a fire mouth that was a wimp, and have not lost 1 to water conditions, have breed 4 times successfully in 2 tanks so I must be doing something right, ya there are fight at times, but thats what you get with these kind of fish, once they figure out the pecking order, it's under control...............

Not offended at all, I have over 150 Cichlids and have only lost 1 to aggression, a fire mouth that was a wimp, and have not lost 1 to water conditions, have breed 4 times successfully in 2 tanks so I must be doing something right, ya there are fight at times, but thats what you get with these kind of fish, once they figure out the pecking order, it's under control...............

Man I had a hyper dominate male.

Metriaclima Pyrsonotos
Albino Zebra Red Top

It killed 20 fish under the cover of night. Took me a while but I figured it out and he was re homed and he ain't so tough in my buddies DT at his shop.

King of the tank, Red Devil, then a Texan, then a Flower Horn the most aggressive in the tank, then Jack Demsey, then a male Kenyi, then the female Black Convict, then Pink, Yellow Lab, Hap, smaller Flower Horn, Kenyi's, and down the line, I run my water at a PH of 8.0, that seem to suit all, I filter 1300 GPH and have 3700 GPH of water movement and am running a temp of 80 right now due to Convict eggs, normal 78, and have never lost a fish to water conditions and all seem to have very little stress, you may be right Convict, but time will tell, as of now I have not seen any problems now that pecking order has been set and all fish seem happy, Im running 3 tanks, 150, 46, and a 10 for fry and all tanks are doing great........:thanks:

King of the tank, Red Devil, then a Texan, then a Flower Horn the most aggressive in the tank, then Jack Demsey, then a male Kenyi, then the female Black Convict, then Pink, Yellow Lab, Hap, smaller Flower Horn, Kenyi's, and down the line, I run my water at a PH of 8.0, that seem to suit all, I filter 1300 GPH and have 3700 GPH of water movement and am running a temp of 80 right now due to Convict eggs, normal 78, and have never lost a fish to water conditions and all seem to have very little stress, you may be right Convict, but time will tell, as of now I have not seen any problems now that pecking order has been set and all fish seem happy, Im running 3 tanks, 150, 46, and a 10 for fry and all tanks are doing great........:thanks:

No problem. We all have or ways and I don't bid anything against anyone or make ill feelings. I like to respect all. We don't have to agree but we can certainly be civil.

Good luck with your tanks!

Back
Top Bottom