Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
black diamond Madagascar cichlid (paratilapia polleni)

Marked as rare most decent photo i have been able to get so far. super cool fish almost prehistoric looking when they get bigger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_163129.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	163368
__________________

__________________
PolyptRus is offline  
Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
That looks cool
__________________

__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline  
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post
Marked as rare most decent photo i have been able to get so far. super cool fish almost prehistoric looking when they get bigger.
They are cool. Not all that rare though. They get pretty big and can be nasty towards tank mates. I have three in one of my tanks now.
__________________
cbourg746 is offline  
Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourg746 View Post

They are cool. Not all that rare though. They get pretty big and can be nasty towards tank mates. I have three in one of my tanks now.
They aren't rare really how often do u see them available at the lfs?
__________________
PolyptRus is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
erikmoseley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post

They aren't rare really how often do u see them available at the lfs?
They're hard to find somewhat but my lfs has some now. Not pet co or petsmart tho
__________________
erikmoseley is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
My LFS has them, but my LFS specializes in rare and uncommon fish
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bristol England
Posts: 221
They are rare in the UK. Wouldn't mind one myself, great looking fish.
__________________
chew valley is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: AquaLand
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
My LFS has them, but my LFS specializes in rare and uncommon fish
You're lucky. I only get big pet shops, that specialize in attractive and common house fish.
__________________
Oscar and ClownKnife Fish Lover
Fishanatic is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmoseley View Post

They're hard to find somewhat but my lfs has some now. Not pet co or petsmart tho
Ya they may have them now but i bet they rarely do. So my perspective a fish that rarely can be bought would be considered rare. Ive only seen them once which is surprising because where i shop Ive seen everything come and go in there even lung fish on two occasions. Almost everytime Ive gone in Ive seen big jaguars, datnoids, endlicheri, arowannas, rip saws.... The list goes on Ive only ever seen one batch of these guys so far. So i would put it on the rare list.
__________________
PolyptRus is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: AquaLand
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post

Ya they may have them now but i bet they rarely do. So my perspective a fish that rarely can be bought would be considered rare. Ive only seen them once which is surprising because where i shop Ive seen everything come and go in there even lung fish on two occasions. Almost everytime Ive gone in Ive seen big jaguars, datnoids, endlicheri, arowannas, rip saws.... The list goes on Ive only ever seen one batch of these guys so far. So i would put it on the rare list.
Maybe because no one buys them? Not sure.
__________________
Oscar and ClownKnife Fish Lover
Fishanatic is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post

They aren't rare really how often do u see them available at the lfs?
Yeah.....at least at my lfs they are readily available. My lfs orders through Segrest farms and they are readily available.
__________________
cbourg746 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
I hadn't seen keyholes at any lfs in a 50 mile radius for 8 months, but they aren't rare not trying to knock your fish, I'd just call them uncommon rather than rare
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
I hadn't seen keyholes at any lfs in a 50 mile radius for 8 months, but they aren't rare not trying to knock your fish, I'd just call them uncommon rather than rare
Yes for 8 months i have only seen these once for the entire time Ive been in the aquarium hobby. In response to previous posts stating they are readily available that is only because the places providing them to your lfs are breeding them. The number of places actually breeding these fish aren't that high even in comparison to other "rare" fish. Not only that but these fish are actually listed on the vulnerable species list thus there are issues with actually being aloud to farm these which means there are only select breeders of these fish. But if you are breeding a fish you probably would have them readily available even if they were "rare". I suppose thats how i got my hands on a African lung fish but apparently i am wrong as to what fish are rare. Maybe my lung fish is common too.
__________________
PolyptRus is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
Don't take it as an attack by any means, all we're trying to say is what's rare in one area, may not be as a whole. I've seen african lungfish at 2 stores before, but they're still quite uncommon. It's all about perspective. I like to think that my dicrossus maculatus is rare, but I know there are many others with this fish, so they are just uncommon
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post
Yes for 8 months i have only seen these once for the entire time Ive been in the aquarium hobby. In response to previous posts stating they are readily available that is only because the places providing them to your lfs are breeding them. The number of places actually breeding these fish aren't that high even in comparison to other "rare" fish. Not only that but these fish are actually listed on the vulnerable species list thus there are issues with actually being aloud to farm these which means there are only select breeders of these fish. But if you are breeding a fish you probably would have them readily available even if they were "rare". I suppose thats how i got my hands on a African lung fish but apparently i am wrong as to what fish are rare. Maybe my lung fish is common too.
Slow your roll little lady. just cause a particular species is not available often in one particular area, doesn't mean that said species is all that rare. nobody was knocking your fish or your knowledge about fish.
__________________
cbourg746 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbourg746 View Post

Slow your roll little lady. just cause a particular species is not available often in one particular area, doesn't mean that said species is all that rare. nobody was knocking your fish or your knowledge about fish.
Whatever.... Research how many places farm them than get back to me. Till than don't knock something you know little of.
__________________
PolyptRus is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Freakgecko91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,399
He owns polleni!!! Calm down, like I said, it's no attack, just trying to get you to understand that just because something is rare locally, does not mean they are overall rare. They are probably the most common of the Madagascan cichlids, and one of the main reasons they are threatened in the wild is because of 1.) the size of the island, and 2.) Madagascar is notorious for habitat destruction unfortunately
__________________
Freakgecko91 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hammond, LA
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyptRus View Post
Whatever.... Research how many places farm them than get back to me. Till than don't knock something you know little of.
http://www.segrestfarms.com/index.cf...catalog.search

Florida Tropical Fish DIRECT

http://www.oldworldexoticfish.com/stock.html

JEFF RAPPS IS TANGLED UP IN CICHLIDS

Paratilapia Polleni, Cichlids: African | PetSolutions

is that enough to validate the fact that this fish is not rare in the hobby nor is it hard to get your hands on one. at least not here in the U.S. :P
__________________
cbourg746 is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Wow four breeders that is definitely lots of them wow they have as many breeders as guppies!!
*cough cough*
__________________
PolyptRus is offline  
Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
PolyptRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 468
Btw my store gets them from the same Florida farms you listed... There really aren't very many breeders who sell them for retail purposes and infact you just made it clear this is true instead of justifying your point that they are not rare
__________________

__________________
PolyptRus is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
api, cichlid, gas, ich, polleni

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.