black face

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gvillboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a thick skin 44 (obliquiden) female and half of her face turned black. Any idea why it would do so?

The face is better...I ended up taking her out of my big tank and putting her in the 10 gallon..

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110803_112452.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_112452.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 162
It's hard to see clearly but I don't think I would worry about that at all, sometimes you'll see black spots which could be related to stress or diet but if the blackening is even coloration then don't worry.

Ok thanks....so I looked at her again tonight and it looks like her face is rotten.. it has a hole in it....Wtf? No what's wrong with her!

The only thing she'll eat is blood worms....I have no clue what's wrong with her and it's kinda pissing me off cause she just had about 15 fry and now this....

I just read up on the disease. You should QT the fish in a clean tank preferably without gravel. Remove any carbon from the filter and feed the fish vitamin enriched flakes. Also do daily water changes. From what I've read the only way to cure this disease is clean water, no carbon and feed it vitamin enriched foods.

What is the disease called and thanks for the info....I really appreciate it.

Hole in the head or head and lateral line erosion disease. Oh and no problem I do what I can to help :)

Try to post some closer pictures of the head area, while HLLE is not impossible it's not very common in africans and it doesn't cause skin pigment to change color either.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Try to post some closer pictures of the head area, while HLLE is not impossible it's not very common in africans and it doesn't cause skin pigment to change color either.

Could the pigment change be do to the stress of whatever is affecting the fish?

I took her out for a second to take this picture and now she about dead....its like she is fighting for air....

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110804_214419.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110804_214419.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 110
Thats a bacterial infection not HLLE and needs to be treated immediately with a medication like Fungus Clear by Jungle or Paraguard or Kaneplex by Seachem.

I started treating with maroxy I think that how you spell it lol but she's starting to clear up and eat again....I'm excited to see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom