Black sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonny2007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’m looking for black sand that would be dwarf cichlid and cory cat safe. Any recommendations?

just be sure its black ! as not all sand is black some are mixed with other sands but it still says black on package , my sand was to be black its a grayish looking sand makes sand look dirty . yet they claim its midnight black . just so you are aware

Many like Petco black sand I have read.
The blasting sand can have bits of iron in it that might stick to magnet cleaners and scratch glass.

Many like Petco black sand I have read.
The blasting sand can have bits of iron in it that might stick to magnet cleaners and scratch glass.

I have access to a strong magnet, I’m assuming I can just pull those iron bits out that way.

I'd probably go with that Petco black sand before I'd spend countless hours removing iron with a magnet. Lol. The things we do for women right?

I recently switched to blasting sand. I ran a magnet through it, and didn't have anything stick. Maybe there could be super fine pieces or maybe I got lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 105
I guess you could say it looks dirty. I think it looks natural. Things in nature aren't perfect. jmo

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 109
I recently switched to blasting sand. I ran a magnet through it, and didn't have anything stick. Maybe there could be super fine pieces or maybe I got lucky.

You got lucky. I ran a magnet thru a bag I had and all of it stuck to the magnet.

I just set up my new tank with Tahitian Moon black. No rinsing required, comes with packets of bacteria and clarifier, and, oh, did I mention you DO NOT have to rinse it? Petco dot com will have it on sale for $14 per 20lb bag. I'd pay the regular $20 to not have to rinse it. I'm pretty sure rinsing sand might be the worst thing ever.

I guess it depends on the size of the tank too. Blasting sand is like $8 for a 50lb bag. If you need 100lbs you're talking $16 instead of $70-$100.

I guess it depends on the size of the tank too. Blasting sand is like $8 for a 50lb bag. If you need 100lbs you're talking $16 instead of $70-$100.

True!! Save $ where you can. You'll end up spending it on something else for your tank anyway.

Well the nearest place to get blasting sand is about 50 miles away, and there are 2 bags of black sand at one pet co. So I’ve convinced my fiancé that we don’t need black sand.

Many who want planted tanks go with Pool Filter Sand [ PFS ] on the cheap. It is more uniform and cleaner from the start then play sand or other choices. Basically vanilla color ?

The PFS looses it’s white with a little age on the tank. But it’s invert safe.

Back
Top Bottom