Black sand or white sand on a Malawi tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivan2020

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to know whats the best sand for Malawi cichlids

It's up to personal preference. If you want a natural looking sand, get the tan colored ones. I don't suggest pure white since it'll look extremely bright if you're using good lighting, which defeats the purpose of having good lighting to display your fish's color at its full potential (you want all eyes on your fish, then rockscape, never the sand which will happen since it'll be blinding lol.) So in the end, black or tan are my only two opinions in color, but my vote always go towards the more natural looking sand (tan).

Black can look good too though cos it contrasts nicely with the bright colours of the cichlids.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Black can look good too though cos it contrasts nicely with the bright colours of the cichlids.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep, which is why I mentioned that both Black and Tan are my only two options, but I prefer the natural looking route, so like I said it's personal preference since there is no "best" kind of sand.

I have black gravel in my 29g and pool filter sand (white/tan) in my 75g I like both looks but the fish stand out more with the black gravel. However I like the overall look of the pfs in the tank better. Don't know if that helps but if I were doing a new tank I would probably go with the pfs again plus my cichlids love it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393373714.954951.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393373730.159973.jpgthe first one is my cichlid tank and the second one is my community tank

I like the black one but I think is too dark what do you guys think and what's a good brand for pool filter sand

Back
Top Bottom