Bloat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does white string from fish always mean bloat? Fish is still very active....not hiding... Still eating

I will get the ball rolling here for ya...as im no Doc...:)

What are you feeding them & how much are you feeding them everyday?

Cichlid excel floating pellets... Wheat germ And spirulina.... Flakes.... Extreme aquatic foods...38% protein....and skinned peas..... Alternate once a day

Are you overfeeding them? Feeding once a day, twice a day, etc.....

Once a day... And usually what they can eat in a couple of minutes....nitrates and ammonia are good.....fish is not acting any different... I guess will see if that changes tomorrow..

Is it all the fish or just one? Do they look different skinny or bloated...tummy looks okay....

All look good..... Had a tropheus moori awhile back die from bloat.... Had all the symptoms.... But this one has none except for the stringy stuff... Which is also very faint.... Had to look very close..... Should I change the food?

Dude nice permit.
And white stringy poo can also mean internal parasites but it could just be colored from what you're feeding him. Wait and see if he starts acting strange

Maybe feed him some peas to clear his system

Tks, Tarpon....That's 29lbs off the keys bridges. I would like to keep them in a aquarium...lol!

Just keep an eye on them. Sorry you lost one to bloat sometime back....peas & garlic if you can get them mixed very well in the blender add some tank water to the blender. Freeze them and drop them in is how I do it...

Thanks for the input... Will keep with the peas and hope for the best.....

I have read that too much salt can also cause bloat.... I use cichlid lake salt by seachem... I add each time I do my weekly water change as directed.... Any thoughts?

I have read that too much salt can also cause bloat.... I use cichlid lake salt by seachem... I add each time I do my weekly water change as directed.... Any thoughts?

I've never heard of that one.

When making his recipe for the peas blend in smell Epson salt to it. If you can get it into the fish it works as a laxative.

If you pull one of them out get some pictures of the fish especially the under side. You could also try not feeding for a few day's too.

Actually lost the fish the other day... Pretty sure it was bloat.... I read in multiple searches for bloat that salt could be a factor..... Very frustrated since I have been doing everything by the book.... Thanks for the reply

Diet and stress are bigger factors than salt in my opinion. Protein percentages mean nothing so keep that in mind, where the protein derives from is far more important in terms of digestion rather than a simple percentage.

Back
Top Bottom