Bloat (Jack Dempsey)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Litos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Believe my jack Dempsey is showing signs o "bloat" I never see him eating anymore and it almost looks like he is getting sunk belly but I'm not certain... Can I treat the tank as a just in case... If so what should I use to treat tank

Treat the entire tank? How big is it and what other fish?
Do you have a QT?

It's a 40 gallon and a placo is his only mate

Litos said:
Believe my jack Dempsey is showing signs o "bloat" I never see him eating anymore and it almost looks like he is getting sunk belly but I'm not certain... Can I treat the tank as a just in case... If so what should I use to treat tank

Someone out there correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe there is a treatment for bloat. You may need to just wait it out.

I heard of cloat... I went and got some meds for parasites.... Put it in tank today... Time to wait and see what happens

Litos said:
I heard of cloat... I went and got some meds for parasites.... Put it in tank today... Time to wait and see what happens

Bloat is not conclusively caused by parasites. Google it for some info. Matter of fact I haven't really heard of any Cichlids other than Malawis that get bloat. That being the case, I suppose it could be parasites that are causing your particular issue. Good luck with it.

All I know is it has been about a month since I started to notice my jd acting strange

He hides all day and I noticed stringy white feces.. I can't wait any longer.. Hope this treatment works

Litos said:
He hides all day and I noticed stringy white feces.. I can't wait any longer.. Hope this treatment works

I've read somewhere on this forum that stringy poop could indicate a parasite, so you are probably doing the right thing.

It's been 24hrs since I begun treatment... He already seems to be doing better out from hiding and swimming around... During treatment I have read you shouldn't feed the fish... Is that true?????

Litos said:
It's been 24hrs since I begun treatment... He already seems to be doing better out from hiding and swimming around... During treatment I have read you shouldn't feed the fish... Is that true?????

I would follow the instructions on the medication container to the letter. If it does not say so, I would not consider it.

Stringy poo and a sunken stomach could also mean a bad diet.
Bloating isn't the same thing, although both 'could' be caused by a parasite. You've already started treatment, so may aswell finish the first course. I'm not familiar with Cloat? but if it's a bloat med, and you have a sunken stomach, it may be targeting the wrong parasite? (If it is). I've treated bloat with simple clean water in my QT, no meds. It was caught early. You also said in the opening question, you believe but aren't sure he is sick. Bloating that I've dealt with is very noticeable. The fish will rest a lot more than usual, like yours seems to do.
How long did you have him prior to this?

And a simple question we haven't asked yet

Whats the Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite and nitraTE readings? and hardness if you have the test for it.

Back
Top Bottom