Blood Parrot laid eggs. Flowerhorn helping gaurd them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munchie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last week my male flower horn and my blood parrot out of no where started digging a hole in the bottom of their tank. The FH has been real defensive of the area and today I noticed the blood parrot laying eggs on a few rocks.

Has anyone else had a similar situation happen? What should I be doing at this point?

Photos

image-1484976766.jpg

image-2779864655.jpg

image-1549982657.jpg

Leave them be. You'll either have kirin parrots or shortbodied flowerhorns. They worth selling if you have an extra tank to move the parents to.

I don't have a extra tank. Would a divider work?

How long until the eggs hatch usually?

You can keep them in the same tank, but if the parents spawn again, they will eat the fry.

It will take less than a week for the fry to hatch.

Put pantyhose over the inlet of your filters if you dont want the fry to get sucked up by the filters. Use new pantyhose that has been rinsied thoroughly in old tank water.

Thanks, I will get the pantyhose. Thankfully I have cichlid stones that the large fish can't fit in and the eggs are laid on them.

My jewel fry got sucked to the filter uptake and didn't have the strength to pull away so I put filter foam (that goes into a canister filter) over my uptake and haven't had a problem. Good luck!!!

So far only about 5 of the hundred? or so have turned white. The flowerhorn (male) has become the most aggressive I have ever seen him..can't even look into the tank to inspect without him charging the glass!

I guess at one point I need to attempt to stick my hand in there to start to get things ready.

This batch didn't make it. Looks like the male didn't fertilize.

Back
Top Bottom