blood parrot tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quest84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone I need some idea's for tankmates for my blood parrot. He is still fairly small and the only other fish in the tank is my 4'' rainbow shark. Tank is 55gal.

I would like to add some colorful fish to the tank if possible

open to any suggestions :thanks:

thx betta, I was already thinking of adding a Pleco

I was thinking maybe another parrot or a Kirin / killin Parrot, they have really cool colors

anyone else have any suggestions?

I had 3 tinfoil barbs in the tank, and my BP killed one of them by ramming him into the glass:( I had to move the other 2 to another tank.

what types of other cichlids can I mix the BP and rainbow shark with?

Ive seen oscars with BP's but that requires a lot of space. Channel cats as well but need space they get massive. Try a few angels, or bala sharks.

Tinfoil barbs or polypterus, those could be good possibly

Ive seen oscars with BP's but that requires a lot of space. Channel cats as well but need space they get massive. Try a few bala sharks.

I'm sorry but all those fish would be a terrible recommendation for a 55g tank, with most requiring at least 3x what the OP has. Trying to help people with poor advice actually accomplishes the opposite of what I'm sure you intended to do in the first place, a little research would have revealed all of this.

My recommendation would be a school of fast moving tetras like buenes aires and a shoal of corys, this will leave the focus on your BP.

If your looking to add other cichlids then Cryptoheros sajica, Cleithracara maronii, Mesonauta festivus, and Aequidens pulcher would be my top 4 recommendations. These are fairly peaceful and should have no issues with regards to aggression.

Last edited:
thanks Hukit, I think i might go with that blue acara, they are really beautiful fish, great suggestion.

I have a blood parrot, and I keep him(or her) with a gold severum and a school of serpea tetras. I've haven't had any aggression problems at all.

I am also wondering the same question . I heard they go with central american cichlids like convicts and zebras??? I don't have a cichlid tank I've never had one , but I want one!!

HUKIT said:
I'm sorry but all those fish would be a terrible recommendation for a 55g tank, with most requiring at least 3x what the OP has. Trying to help people with poor advice actually accomplishes the opposite of what I'm sure you intended to do in the first place, a little research would have revealed all of this.

My recommendation would be a school of fast moving tetras like buenes aires and a shoal of corys, this will leave the focus on your BP.

If your looking to add other cichlids then Cryptoheros sajica, Cleithracara maronii, Mesonauta festivus, and Aequidens pulcher would be my top 4 recommendations. These are fairly peaceful and should have no issues with regards to aggression.

I think an Aequidens pulcher would be cool in the tank just watch for agression. They can be hit or miss. I would say thoricthys meeki but they could be a problem with your rainbow shark. If u dont mind me asking could you post a picture of the current tank because that sometimes helps me.

Back
Top Bottom