Blood parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1997

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to mix a blood parrot in with African Cichlids I really want one?! Thanks

i hear its hit and miss. the temperament of a blood parrot varies a lot, also depends what species you would want to keep it with

I'm keeping it with electric yellows peacock Cichlid and yellow finned acei

they might be too aggressive for a blood parrot, although i have heard of people mixing these fish i dont think i would recommend it, blood parrots don't really have a way to defend themselves because of there deformed mouths so if your current fish were to pick at it it would have no chance.

what size tank do you have anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
and how many of each species do you have now?

not counting your fry on the other thread ;)

1 peacock 4 electro yellows and 2 what I think are yellow finned acei and I have 6 2 day old electric yellow Cichlid fry

I have one with 2 convicts and a Oscar....in a 60 Gallon. I would not do it again. I'm moving the Oscar in his own tank due to his eventual size but , the Blood Parrot picks on him. I would believe it depends on the fish though....

could you maybe post pictures of the yellow tail acei? they get fairly large, and really belong in a four foot tank.

i think you might be able to add a blood parrot if you rehomed the acei. of course there is a risk to this, but it wouldn't be the first time i have seen it done. Just make sure that if you decide on the blood parrot that you have a backup plan if it doesn't work out. Also when it gets larger you will have to be carefull if you want to introduce fry back into your main tank, anything too small will likely get eaten by the blood parrot.

also, i should mention that you would likely not be able to add any more species to the tank if you decide on the blood parrot

1 peacock 4 electro yellows and 2 what I think are yellow finned acei and I have 6 2 day old electric yellow Cichlid fry

I would not keep it with Fry around.......

Also I think the Water Requirements are different, Even though Parrots hail from Taiwan I believe the Water Requirements are more in line to South American Cichlids, but you need to keep them at 80F I believe.

I really would not mix them.

Thanks I guess I just stick to Africans I would really like to get some more blue cichlids I have mostly yellow

What about cynotilapia afra hara, or metriaclima membe deep, or maybe some psudeotropheus elongatus ? All lovely fish. And good blue fish.

both blood parrots and africans need to be kept at higher temperatures, as long as they aren't in the extremes both fish will be fine. also fry should be grown out in a tank either way before you add them back with adults.

Fishguy1997 said:
Can you tell me the selling names of those fish please not just the Latin one

Going by the scientific names is the best way to ensure you're getting the right fish. Five different fish can have the same or closely related common name. I personally don't buy any cichlids unless the seller lists them under their scientific name and knows the locational variant.

Going by the scientific names is the best way to ensure you're getting the right fish. Five different fish can have the same or closely related common name. I personally don't buy any cichlids unless the seller lists them under their scientific name and knows the locational variant.
ok thanks ill google those names now :BIG::BIG:

Back
Top Bottom